Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting challenge, 8mm tape to avi/mpeg/divx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting challenge, 8mm tape to avi/mpeg/divx?

My grandmother is starting to get into computers and now wants me to hook up an old 8mm tape so she can "record it onto her computer." I don't have a clue as to how it can be done. Unfortunately, I do not know exactly what she will use to play the old tape, but the computer is: G200, Celeron 800, 256mb ram, and Liteon 48x12x48 burner. The system doesn't have a capture card (might be able to stick in a TV tuner temporarily).
    Any ideas on ways of converting the 8mm tape over to her computer? Would prefer AVI/MPEG for now, but I'm flexible. I know it is dependant on what she uses to play the tape, but could you at least give me some suggestions/ideas on how she could actually do it? Thx in advance.
    Epox 8RDA+
    AMD XP 2500+ w/ Alpha PAL 8045
    512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
    ATI 8500 64mb
    Hercules Fortissimo II
    Tekram DC-315U
    Pioneer DVD 303S
    Pioneer DVR-106
    Zip100 Internal
    Logitech MX 500 Mouse
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
    Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 gig HD
    Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 40 gig HD
    LG Flatron 795FT+
    Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones
    Altec Lansing 641 Speakers

Step 1: Get a camera that can play you 8mm tape.
    step 2: Get a capture card. Seems you have a g200 a Rainbow Runner G may be a good fit. Used, cheap.
    Capture footage.

Why does your granny want the footage in her computer?
    Does she want to edit it?
    If she just wants to watch it camcorder to vcr would be faster/cheaper/easier.
    Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

My guess is VCDs (MPEG1) would be of great interest to her. I agree with Funky, an old Marvel G200 or G450eTV would be the best bet.

If she gets past the VCD stage, then you are looking at AVIO/ PICVideo or something similar.

Hope she has fun with it,

Ted
      Premiere PRO XP Pro
      Asus P4s533
      P4-2.8
      Matrox G450
      RT.x100
      45 GIG System Drive
      120 Export Drive
      Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
      Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
      17" P4-3 HT
      1024 RAM
      32 MEG GForce
      60 GIG 7200RPM HD
      80 GIG EXT HD (USB 2/Firewire)
      DVD RW/RAM

Comment

Whoa! Which O/S? G-200 would do fine but ONLY if she has Win98SE, not W2k or XP. The latter MAY be possible, but can she assimilate the embroilments that make this forum so heated? Remember also that seeking perfection is useless if the source video is the old 8 mm format, which is not exactly the same as DV in quality, so taking the PICVideo or HuffYUV route is using a steamhammer to crack an egg.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Wow, thx a lot for the replies.

My grandmother has WinME (don't ask, I didn't install it!).

To answer a few other questions, she would like to convert it to something that can be played in DVD's as well as computers. She has these big ideas of distributing the video to family members. She *might* also want to edit it to get most/all of the footage down to one size. She hasn't gotten that far in telling me exactly what she wants to do. I get a sinking feeling that I am to be the one who does a lot of the work...

RRG huh? I might have a friend I could buy that off off. Hmm... Sorry for the newbish question, the RRG occupies the expansion port correct? The add-on ram will be perfectly fine where it is? I haven't seen my old G200 since I bought my G400MAX back in 99?

Here is the specs for my grandmother's computer:
          Intel Celeron 800, Asus CUSL2-C, 256mb ram, Matrox G200 w/8mb ram upgrade, Soundblaster PCI128, Aopen 56k softmodem, 13 gig Fujitsu HD, Liteon 48x CDRW, Asus 50x CDROM

I'll also add my system incase it is actually me doing the work. BTW, I am running Win2K SP3.
          Epox 8RDA+
          AMD XP 2500+ w/ Alpha PAL 8045
          512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
          ATI 8500 64mb
          Hercules Fortissimo II
          Tekram DC-315U
          Pioneer DVD 303S
          Pioneer DVR-106
          Zip100 Internal
          Logitech MX 500 Mouse
          Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
          Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 gig HD