Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MURC forums- sections you browse, what you think of them...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MURC forums- sections you browse, what you think of them...

It's been a while since the last thread regarding this subject, so here we go.

Alternative Lifestyles

A long time ago, in a galaxy far... far away
    Can't say that I venture much there... it suits its purpose, yet I only read it from time to time, out of curiosity or for a little bit of info.

Desktop Video

That is sort of an underground parallel society here on MURC, a universe of its own, where video editing, off topic, general hardware and many other discussions are condensed in one forum and active users there don't generally post outside of it.
    From time to time people transgress the borders of that univers and discover there is life outside of it (guess Doc. M is a perfect example).
    There are members from the rest of MURC that venture there, out of curiosity, or to post some info. Seen Technoid, Zokes and other people casually posting there, also Greebe seems to be a bit upset with it because the non video editing related threads aren't posted in the proper forums

General Hardware/Software

Neat forum, and active. Solve your general hardware/software problems there, some non Matrox video card problems, get info on new hardware and software, upgrade info... Also catch up on some news, all the major news of the moment usually generate a thread there, some software & driver updates news...

Matrox Gaming

I don't frequent it as much as I did when I had my G400, still, I read it on a regular basis to see how the Parhelia does in games, what problems it has... Also, catch up on some game related news, what clan [MU]'s doing these days...

Matrox Hardware

Again, since I don't own a Matrox card anymore there isn't much to do there for me, just get info on current, older and (maybe) future Matrox products.

Benchmarks

Nice (later) addition to the forums. Post whatever benchmark scores you want there, compare it with other murcers, get info.

MGA Tools

It sort of lost its purpose since Matrox wouldn't release the needed Parhelia info to make an update to MGA Tweak possible.
    Didn't have much traffic in the past either, since most of the Matrox overclocking threads were posted in Matrox Hardware.
    Can be renamed to Matrox Overclocking or Overclocking Forum (general overclocking related) and infused new life into. Also getting a bit of pressure off the G H/S & MH forums.

PowerDesk

I can understand the initial intent, though it's sort of MGA's twin, not much traffic, but this one can really be ditched all together since only some lost new members post in it before realizing Matrox Hardware is the place you get more answers and info. Can be killed and Matrox Hardware renamed to Matrox Hardware/Software (like General Hardware before it).

Site Feedback

The place where you go and "bitch" to Ant (and Sasq as of late) (kidding)... the place where you go and help (as much as you can) Ant and Sasq fix the site related problems.

The Soap Box

Can't picture MURC without The Soap Box. It was created a few weeks after I discovered MURC (end of 1999) and still is my favorite place on MURC.
    A forum where you can discuss any old rubbish. Now there is no excuse for polluting the other forums!
    they say.
    Some go by the title and think of it as a place of discussing politics, others think of it as general off topic discussion place, though as much as some people would like to slap me now, its true essence really is abut whore posting j/k
    OK, in reality it's all of the above... or more like what the quote says.

MURCs Happy Shopper

A place where transactions between murcers do occur from time to time.

The FAQ Files

Something to suplement or complement the search function ?
    Can't say that I use it much, new members might find it helpful. Since I browse the forums on a regular basis I generally remember "parts" of the older threads, enough to forumulate appropriate search keywords when I need to.
    btw, nice touch with the moderator tags

Distributed@MURC

aka Guru Land
    need I say more ?

If you feel like donating your CPU cycles for a noble cause, or just search for ET, go have a look
    I'm off such projects, never been much into anyway. SETI has been a bitch since the begining on my rig and now with the larger WUs it's even more. Had a shot at Distributed Folding (DF) for a couple of weeks, runs quite well. Though with only 256 ram, XP and playing some game it sucks and slows the games also. Ahh, for another time, when I'll have more ram.

The Crystal Ball

Rummors, Matrox future products rummors, accurate or inaccurate, people tend to forget that it's only rummors. In general it has a discalimer to it by the very definition of the forum, there's no need to jump at Vigil Ant's throat if you feel it's vaporware
    Also something to keep MHW clean as they put it.

If there is any prority, interest or frequency to browsing the sections it would be:

Group 1: General Hardware/Software, Matrox Hardware, The Soap Box
    Group 2: Matrox Gaming, Benchmarks, Site Feedback, Distributed@MURC, The Crystal Ball
    Group 3: Alternative Lifestyles, Desktop Video, MURCs Happy Shopper
    Group 4: The FAQ Files
    Group 5: MGA Tools, PowerDesk
    Last edited by Admiral; 8 December 2002, 06:51.

The PowerDesk forum was set up at the request of Matrox's PowerDesk programmers as a bug reporting forum, years before the real Matrox forums were a twinkle in Haig's eye

MGA Tools was a specific forum for Khong Jye Liew programmer of MGATweak, again for bug reporting and feedback.

We'll probably do a site revamp in the near future and may well reorganise some of the forums, i.e. put to bed the two mentioned above.

Comment

When I first came here (as Cloudy) it was for the Matrox hardware and General hardware.
      I stayed because of the Soapbox and General hardware forums.

Comment

I would put them in the following order:
        1. General hw/sw
        2. Desktop video
        3. Matrox hw, SoapBox, Crystal Ball
        4. Benchmarks, Matrox Gaming

Don't really read the other ones. Even though I'm always pleased with non-WinDOS systems the alternative lifestyles thingie is just plain dead.
        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
        My System
        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
        German ATI-forum

Comment

i mostly come here for Matrox HW, SoapBox and the Crystal ball, sometimes i visit General HW too, hardly ever visited the others.
          Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

I start with the Soap box forum and enjoy the fun, the lessons and the debates. But before I registered I really took advantage of the General H/S, Matrox hardware and especially the Desktop Video forum to get my Marvel up and running. Once in a while I visit the other forums and sometimes get surprised in what I find out. ie I missed all that VigilAnt stuff about Pitou and the Matrox uproar it caused until a visited Matrox HW fourm a couple of days ago. I'm still disappointed about that, as with alot of other things Matox has been guilty of doing for the past while.
            With all that said, This is the best forum I've ever found, Great group of people, that usually has alot of respect for each other. Hey even famlies have they're HEAVY discussions.

Comment

Re: MURC forums- sections you browse, what you think of them...

Originally posted by Admiral

Seen Technoid, Zokes and other people casually posting there
              Admiral;
              I used to post a lot to Desktop video
              Now days I have so much else to do so the Vidcapture computer is still after a year not completely finished
              So my post count to that forum has declined somewhat. (it has become more DV than analogue these days )
              But I am keeping a close eye on it
              3. ask a lot of questions when it don’t work (just kidding )
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I started lurking around the MURC a year after i got my G200... around the G400 times. i stopped a while after GF256 and came back in 2001 after i got my G550. I got stuck to the Crystal Ball when u guys were talking about the G800. so i got excited. after the parhelia launch i browsered the General hardware, matrox hardware, and marox gaming forums, finding tweaking info/help for my G550. now i am stuck to the Soap Box coz i decided to get a life and not to think of hardware every second of my life. just kidding

Comment

To me, the Saop Box is the lair of ZokesPro's madness, or sillyness, whatever, same deal!
                  Titanium is the new bling!
                  (you heard from me first!)

Comment

soap box - zokes, lizzie threads - actually more zokes as lizzie seems to have a life now. matrox h/w, gaming occasional crystal ball.
                    hmmmmm

Comment

It's Lizzie's job. It doesn't allow her to post as much as I can. See when I'm at work I'm not always busy so I float on MURC.
                      Titanium is the new bling!
                      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

When I first came to MURC, it was all Gaming and M hardware. G200 OpenGL issues..

Since I no longer have the G200, I seem to live in Soap Box, General HW/SW. I still browse Alt/life, M Hardware, and gaming.

Dogbert, I never knew you were Cloudy!
                        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Working...
                        X