restarting win98 with sb live! = problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restarting win98 with sb live! = problems

hi, when i try to restart windows 98 SE only (not the whole computer, just win98se) by holding down shift in the shutdown menu....

it tries to restart windows but then a blue screen comes up with this message:

Math co-processor not found. emu10k1.vxd could not be loaded.

then i must restart my whole computer before the sound works again...

anyone got clues as to why this happens,

thx, Nehal
    <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
    VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
    Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
    128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
    Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
    Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
    Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
    Realtek 8029A NIC Card
    Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
    Actima 36X CD-Rom
    Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
    Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
    Windows 2000 (primary)
    Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

Try using the latest Audigy drivers on your Live.....
    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Don't keep the shift key held down. As soon as the screen blanks you can let go. This can cause lockups/errors.

Comment

High_Jumb:
        i hold down shift, double-click on the restart radio button, then let go of shift immediately, so i dont think thats the problem

K63:
        uh... i dont mind doing that, but will it cause any problems?
        Realtek 8029A NIC Card
        Actima 36X CD-Rom
        Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
        Windows 2000 (primary)

Comment

I'm using the audigy2 drivers on my live without a problem, but I'm also using XP
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

hmmm, i tried install audigy drivers for live, but it wont let me... it said it couldn't find an audigy card...

and there are no downloadable audigy2 drivers...

K63: maybe you are using WDM/win2k or something ?!?!? where did u get drivers from?

Denty: did you use audigy2 drivers from CD, or did u download from somewhere?
            Realtek 8029A NIC Card
            Actima 36X CD-Rom
            Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
            Windows 2000 (primary)

Comment

I can't really help except to say that I had Win98SE and a Live! restarting just fine. So, it's possible. I have no idea why you're seeing this problem though.

Oh, I didn't use any of the Live!Ware, just the drivers.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

theres iso on 3dsoundsurge.com forums.
                you need to mod some files to get it installed on live.
                P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I was just wondering how well the audigy drivers actually worked with the Live considering they were not developed for it

Comment

Supposed to be a unified driver release at present.....

...at least the WDM is....
                    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

The driver is alright but the apps...
                      That's what I heard from 3dsoundsurge.
                      P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Ummm, I don't want to be ****ole, but I could never get Win98SE stable with my sblive Everything else worked fine, including 95,98FE,2000,XP,linux. So I recommend you ditch 98SE, for either 2000 or XP.

In fact, if I was you I would drop another 128meg of ram in your computer and simply run XP. The difference is staggering, even on you 733Mhz computer. I would also keep 98 around, if I had games that required it.

But since I'm not you, my best advice would be to simply NOT do a quick restart.
                        80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

rugger:
                          i played with win98 se quite a bit.... and soon found optimal cache and read-ahead values for my system (specifically 8 megs and 4kb) .. and win 98 SE runs fast now... i mean my computer has 70 megs free when it starts up... i can never get that in win2k

if i put win2k on... memory hogs like crazy... multi-tasking is very annoying because of all the swapping... and it takes forever to startup... i cant reboot windows without rebooting the whole computer... and as for sb live! ... the VXD drivers are certainly better than WDM as i have had problems with WDM

winXP is out of the question... if i paid money to get 128 megs of RAM, i would use it to increase speed of my current OS, not upgrade to a more memory-dependant OS ...

heck i still would use win95B if i could... yes i like speed a lot

thx for the suggestion anyways

back to my problem, shift-clicking restart doesnt cause problems anymore, it happens sometimes, doesnt other times, its like a random thing...
                          Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                          Actima 36X CD-Rom
                          Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
                          Windows 2000 (primary)

Comment

Originally posted by nehalmistry
                            rugger:
                            i played with win98 se quite a bit.... and soon found optimal cache and read-ahead values for my system (specifically 8 megs and 4kb) .. and win 98 SE runs fast now... i mean my computer has 70 megs free when it starts up... i can never get that in win2k
                            So, buy some more memory then! The SDRAM memory prices are simply stupid. You could buy yourself another 256mb of ram for $30US. And you wouldn't have to spend all day tweaking your system.

if i put win2k on... memory hogs like crazy... multi-tasking is very annoying because of all the swapping... and it takes forever to startup... i cant reboot windows without rebooting the whole computer... and as for sb live! ... the VXD drivers are certainly better than WDM as i have had problems with WDM
                            Thats because you only had 128meg of ram. Try adding another 128 to 256 meg to your machine and then state that win2k is a pain at multitasking. (I found the opposite to be true, win98 plain sucks at multitasking)

You also simply don't need to reboot w2k often, so saying you cannot reboot windows 2000 without restarting the whole system is really a lame excuse.

I have had few problems with the WDM drivers for the live. Not the best drivers on the planet, but not the worst either

winXP is out of the question... if i paid money to get 128 megs of RAM, i would use it to increase speed of my current OS, not upgrade to a more memory-dependant OS ...

heck i still would use win95B if i could... yes i like speed a lot
                            You won't find the speed you are after in any win9x operating system. The VM behaviour in Win98 is broken, and once you reach a certain memory size, windows 98 will actually start becoming slower.

You can tweak the system to avoid most of the slowdowns, but they are just tweaks and don't really fix the problems in Win98's core.

thx for the suggestion anyways

back to my problem, shift-clicking restart doesnt cause problems anymore, it happens sometimes, doesnt other times, its like a random thing...
                            Have you tried a clean install? If it still happens after a clean install, then it is a driver problem and there is really nothing you can do about it except complain to Creative and hope for the best.

Without a clean install, it could be anything that is causing your problem. And as I said, I have had NO luck with getting Win98SE stable with the sblive.

It's not the answer you want, but with so many things going on in windows, and such vauge error messages, (don't ya just love windows) there isn't a whole lot we can suggest other then try different drivers and stuff.

Unfortunately, we haven't found the checkbox in windows that says, "Make all your windows problems go away?"
                            80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Working...
                            X