Gigacolour do you use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigacolour do you use it?

I was just wondering if anyone used the feature and do you use it all the time? Have you incountered any problems? Basically in my own experience the feature is very worthwhile even in games the biggest glitch I have had activating it is with games based on the quake 3 engine. I get what is almost what could be described as screen tearing. In fact it is displayed rather well in this Serious Sam pic if you look at the black ring you can see a white line/artifact http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/matrox/parhelia/faa.jpg

one of the reasons that you can't use gigacolour in games is the format Matrox use (3dlabs too) 10:10:10:2
    I the problem is that it only has 2 bits for the alpha buffer.

it would have been cool if the Parhelia used internal 10:10:10:10 format when performing the texture operations and convert the result back to 8:8:8:8

but thats just me
    Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

Its enabled right now but i'm probably going to disable it again.

There have been cases where I have seen a marked improvement because of it (usually in fog and smoke effects), but for the most part it isn't a visible difference and it usually causes more artifacting than having it disabled.

Plus, i've been seeing some GUI acceleration issues when Gigacolor is enabled and i have 3d rendering.
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I actually never saw a real difference in games....
        Specs:
        MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

tbh honest I only saw a difference in some game and as Ghost said it causes more problems in games than it is worth.

Comment

I think it's still most useful for image editing, there even is a plug-in for Photoshop in the web, if you are interested, just like at Matrox' site.
            Specs:
            MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

Working...
            X