weird XP SP 1 bugs – please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird XP SP 1 bugs – please help

i no longer have the option to ‘standby’ in XP.

It was there before! But, after doing a fresh install (this time with a XP SP1 slipstreamed disc), the option to ‘standby’ is mysteriously faded out in the shutdown menu.
    Do I have to change something on my BIOS? Thanks for any help!

EDIT: I changed an unrelated video card setting in the BIOS… and now my second rig (also sp1) displays the standby option! Still no joy with my main rig though…any help?

- Also, every so often my desktop starts up in 8-bit for no apparent reason.

- AND, when clicking disconnect on my modem icon, it takes a whole minute to actually disconnect. (it’s a diamond 56i).

these moans apart, sp1 is quite stable.

Also, do mp3s sound better with better sound cards? I have a 64-bit on board SB chip, and mp3s sound quite good. Should I upgrade? Thanks again.
    If you have a DVD of 'Wall Street' then message me.

Some cards like my Terratec SixPack or the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz have H/W acceleration for mp3s, so the workload on the cpu will be lowered.

However, I've seen (or should I say "heard"?) very good and horribly bad implementations of onboard soundchips. I would upgrade if it was just an AC97 codec-chip.

If the sound quality is sufficient for your needs, then I'd stick with the onboard sound.

It would be helpful, if you could post your system specs.

Cartman
    main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

TSR, have you installed drivers for your videocard or are you using the ones from xp?

Comment

It sounds like video card problems. On my systems i've seen the video drivers cause random issues like that...
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Is PM controlled by APM enabled in BIOS.

MP3s = lower quality so IMHO the audiocard is not the bottleneck here:

it's: speakers>source>soundcard

Comment

Working...
          X