Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone recommend an app that FULLY zeros your drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone recommend an app that FULLY zeros your drive?

My new 60gb seagate barracuda will not give up its MBR when you try to do a format – this causes problems when you try to install an os…the old boot.ini reappears to halt your install dead.

Also, does anyone know of a good app to read MBRs and put things right? Thanks.
    If you have a DVD of 'Wall Street' then message me.

With fdisk under pure DOS you can rewrite the master boot record:

fdisk /mbr
    main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Yep. Formatting alone doesn't change the MBR.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Seagate also has a util on their site that lets you do that.....
        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

strong magnet will work wonders.
          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

wouldn't magnets kill the HDD?

Comment

If you have a Linux boot-able CD at hand, boot it, get into a shell,and at the prompt write:
              dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

If you don't want to zero-out everything, add to the command: bs (blocksize)=1024k (1MB) count=100 (or how many times you want), for ex:
              dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1024k count=1000

Hope this helps,
              Last edited by Gear; 7 December 2002, 15:04.
              Loose bits sink chips.

Comment

this will zero your hdd!

Comment

DOS 3.21 - part.com and prep.com will kill everything. Might need the Zentih supplied DOS3.21 though. Works wonders, even preps disks that FDISK will not touch.

Norton's used to do it (7 times overwriting to every sector). If you have access to an Amiga, stick it in there.

OTOH, in the dark old days (ie 10 years ago), a mate used to run the biggest warez BBS in the UK. All the drives were externally housed, and wrapped with several dozen lengths of electical flex, plugged into the mains. The idea (tested once to prove concept) was that if FAST ever came a-knockin', he'd flick the mains switch on, and instant bulk HD erasure ensured. ;-) I often think about the same solution viz-a-viz my ex-wife... :---)

Comment

BeOS 5 install cd has a HDD setup utility. It saved a few HDDs that FDISK wouldn't recognise.

Comment

I have 2 small dos-pograms:
                      zap just zerofills the mbr
                      wipe zefofills the entire hdd
                      (perhaps a search on google will help you find these tools; if not, I can post them tomorrow)

Jörg
                      pixar
                      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Here are they :
                        http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm (scroll down)

Jörg
                        pixar
                        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

thanks a lot - i'll try them out when i next format my comp (prob quite soon, since im getting fed up of xp.)

Comment

Seagate supplies a small utility diskette to boot from on their website.

It would be wise to try to use that before anything else.

edit :
                            http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/...s/discwiz.html
                            Last edited by Evildead666; 9 December 2002, 12:02.
                            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Evildead666
                              [B]Seagate supplies a small utility diskette to boot from on their website.[QUOTE]

that is precisely the utility that, when used to format, leaves your MBR mysteriously undeleted.

discwizard was only useful for the dynamic drive thing (and even that is available everywhere else.)

Comment

Working...
                              X