Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(G400MAX) What is the difference between these 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (G400MAX) What is the difference between these 2?

What is the difference between these two G400 MAX series numbers?

Like is one retail or oem, agp2x/4x, is one the original revision and the other a newer one.

Just asking because I won one on Ebay & received it. But according to the auction it is suppossed to be part # "G4+MMDHA32GR"

Mine is "G4+MMDHA32G", basically the same but without the "R" at the end. What does that stand for/mean. I have 15 days from auction close to exchange/refund & I just want to make sure I ended up with the best revision.

Matrox has both numbers listed for RMA purposes, so I know they were independently produced but what differentiates one from the other. I was guaranteed a retail version and want to make sure it is the retail version agp4x compliant or just the latest revision they made. thanks

IIRC, that is not a 4x part. If it were, it would have a 4A in the serial number. Some people here will be able to tell you more, although you may not get the best answers until Monday, when the Matrox employees are back to work.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Here is the link to the actual auction I won:

Note the guaranteed part # I was to get and it is stated 4x agp comaptible.
      I already e-mailed the seller advising my current research with intent to return/exchange for a 4x/latest revision board as what I paid for. I sold my G400 4xagp standard DH card to get the MAX version but had no intent in downgrading in revisions. Know what I mean?

Comment

Cleared post..was irrelevant after noticing mis-matched box/card S/N#'s 2 posts down
        Last edited by feelx77; 7 December 2002, 00:47.

Comment

run at 2x in a 4x capable board. it should (iirc) have the 4A in it to operate at 4x.

not missing much anyways
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

My main point is they didn't even send me the same part # as listed. Anyways I checked their other auction listings & they do have one with the correct 4x agp part # like the one I need. I feel a need for an exchange coming on due to misleading wording and the fact they sent me the wrong item anyways.

Look like I want this: "G4+MMDH4A32GR"

Just realized something else...

the box has the correct part # with the "R' at the end but the actual card doesn't as previously stated.

2)The S/N# on the box doesn't match the card's S/N# either. Now I'm a little confused/annoyed.
            Last edited by feelx77; 7 December 2002, 00:45.

Comment

I sold my G400 4xagp standard DH card to get the MAX
              That was probably a mistake. Most of the MAXs are earlier revisions. The later G400s overclocked to faster-than-MAX speeds, whereas most MAXs didn't overclock worth a damn.

Why did you specifically want a MAX?
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Wanted the max for the faster memory and the fact that it runs faster without overclocking. I always wanted the MAX to begin with but they were sold out back when I bought the standard one in 1999/2000 so I settled for it. It is now part of my fathers system did I maintain & will eventually wont back later when I upgrade him next year into another pc. I just thought I could sell my card & use the money to get the faster MAX version and break even with out any addtional costs since they are cheaper now.

Anyways trying to work out with seller to exchange for the newer revision. He has one available.

Comment

I still don't know what the letter "R" represents at the end of the part #.

Does anyone know....some cards have it & others don't?

Comment

Retail
                    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                      Most of the MAXs are earlier revisions. The later G400s overclocked to faster-than-MAX speeds, whereas most MAXs didn't overclock worth a damn.
                      How well do later Max's overclock? I'm just curious because I'm lucky enough to own a real AGP4x MAX.
                      Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

No idea, Ribbit. I was actually starting to believe that they stopped making MAXs very early on. The did drop them from shopmatrox long before the G400 stopped selling.

Comment

Might mean that it is Refurbished

Originally posted by feelx77
                          I still don't know what the letter "R" represents at the end of the part #.

Does anyone know....some cards have it & others don't?

Comment

No, as Kruzin allready posted that it means Retail.

Comment

How well do later Max's overclock? I'm just curious because I'm lucky enough to own a real AGP4x MAX
                              i think most max's oc to about 165/220 before artifacting sets in. that is how far mine went anyway, even after i slapped a larger heatsink and some ram sinks on it.

honestly unless you have a 1ghz+ computer the oc doesn't make that much difference anyway.
                              Dell Inspiron 8200
                              Pentium4m 1.6
                              640mb pc2100
                              64mb gf440go
                              15" uxga ultrasharp
                              40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

Comment

Working...
                              X