Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECS K7S6A jumper question

Well, don't laugh, but I don't know which is short and which is open

On this pic, assuming counting starts top to bottom, would 1-2 be short, 3-4 open, 5-6 open, 7-8 open, 9-10 open ?

FIDJP: CPU ratio selector

Don't own the board (yet) so I'm just doing some research on it.

Yes, that would be it. And the white line up at the top of the jumper block tells you that that is the end where "1" is.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

thanks Wombat

Never owned a motherboard that had jumpers for CPU ratio (this case) or fsb settings.

Comment

Jumpered or switched mobos is a pain in the rear
        I'm so happy that it's getting more and more an exception instead of a rule
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Should be in the instructions what id's no.1.
          Nothing like the old motherbaords which is jp1 and jp2 so close together on the screening
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Should be in the instructions what id's no.1.
            Like I said, the board is marked.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
              Jumpered or switched mobos is a pain in the rear
              I'm so happy that it's getting more and more an exception instead of a rule
              Don't have much of an alternative, no MSI 745 Ultra boards around here, just the Asus A7S333 and ECS K7S6A.
              The ECS has the jumper thing for CPU ratio (which isn't much of a drawback) and a relatively good collection of fsb (bios) settings, but it's supposed to be a stable board, also cheaper.
              The Asus board, while being more bios rich, has a reputation for instability.

And I ain't touching no VIA mobos with my SB Live! 5.1

Comment

I "repaired" a computer today just by setting the switches back to correct values....

The panel was so near the RAM banks that it was hard not to change them when you added ram
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Make sure to update that board to the recently released 1.0f bios.

Used to have one of those boards running at 150mhz FSB with a voltmod...
                  Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I hope you understand... ECS is not an overclocking board.
                    You CANNOT overclock with a ECS board, unless you use unofficial BIOS which is a bit of a danger. Even if you do want to use an unofficial... as far as I'm aware there is currently NONE for K7S6A.

K7S5A I think so but not K7S6A.

And even if your Athlon is unlocked, you still can't change multiplier, you have to apply something called "multi-lite" mod to the mobo.

There is not voltage adjustment at all. There is a problem that nobody can use 166FSB at the moment.

By the way, there is a abit of misleading advertisement on Asus website. A7S333 DOES NOT allow voltage adjustment.

If you can't get MSI 745 Ultra... you are a bit stuck
                    Try Epox, may be?
                    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Wasn't aware that Epox made SIS 745 boards, there's nothing on their site.
                      There is a overclocking bios for K7S6A , though I was under the impression that it supports 166/166 with the official bios, as seen in this picture.
                      Was also under the impression that it has CPU (bios) voltage adjustment 1.1-1.85 V (in 0.025 V steps), that it has multiplier settings via the jumpers (read the above posts) and that it doesn't have ram voltage adjustments.
                      I am aware of the general issue that "plagues" all SIS 745 boards when running in async mode 133/166 and thought it's being addressed by later bioses, not all together fixed though.

The plan is to couple it with a 1600+ Aroia and a 256 stick of PC 2700 ram and do a sync fsb of 166/166. Install the OS in 133/133, do some 133/166 tests after and in the end have a shot at 166/166.
                      Are there any known incompatibility issues with KingMax PC2700 ram ?

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
                        I hope you understand... ECS is not an overclocking board.
                        You CANNOT overclock with a ECS board, unless you use unofficial BIOS which is a bit of a danger. Even if you do want to use an unofficial... as far as I'm aware there is currently NONE for K7S6A.

K7S5A I think so but not K7S6A.

And even if your Athlon is unlocked, you still can't change multiplier, you have to apply something called "multi-lite" mod to the mobo.

There is not voltage adjustment at all. There is a problem that nobody can use 166FSB at the moment.

The K7S6A gives you upto 1.85v in the bios, although it only actually reaches around 1.81v. With a voltmod, I had it at 1.94v

You have FSB adjusments, but 166mhz FSB doesn't work with bios 1.0d. Haven't tried 1.0f, but don't have the board anymore....

And the multiplier adjusments do indeed work on the K7S6A....

Comment

Would I be better off with the Leadtek SIS 735 board WinFast 7350KDA, seems to be more bios rich and supports 1MHz fsb increaments through software (like some older Gigabyte mobos) and has dipswitch multiplier settings.
                          Or the Epox 8K3AE & Gigabyte 7VRX (VIA KT333) ?

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't consider it necessary to make a change to anything other than the SIS746FX-based boards or NForce2-based boards....

Comment

Someone on a local forum has brought to my attention the AOpen AK75. It seems to have 1MHz step fsb ->200MHz, but I don't know anything about the voltage options and stability.
                              Can't seem to find a review on the net, most search results refer to DFI's AK75-EC (a KT133A board I think).

edit: reading on the aopen eforum, it seems only the AK75 Pro has vcore bios settings
                              Last edited by Admiral; 9 December 2002, 14:16.

Comment

Working...
                              X