Mandrake 9 a step backwards ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandrake 9 a step backwards ?

Now this is causing me a pain. I installed this the other day and installed it to hde and slapped the boot configuration onto this as I have in the past.
    Why?
    Well last time I let it take over the dual boot configuration which is okay until the hard disk goes belly up and then you get a screen of errors and your not able to boot to your main os's NT or ME.
    I had a bootable floppy and I can boot off this. Anyway I wanted to manually configure the NT boot menu so I downloaded bootpart and this listed hde as bootable as well as drive C.
    Rebooted selected the linux option and got invalid system disk.
    Booted into linux via floppy checked the lilo mconfig and that said hde as the jobby. Extracted bootsect.lnx via the dd command and slapped this onto drive C and reedited the boot.ini. Same error msg.
    Never mind come back to that later.
    Samba now last time under 8.2 this £ucked up big time but it was Konquer and not samba bar a corrupt password. I solved the samba problem by installing ksomba. That poped up and said your password is bollocked do you want to reset it yes and everthing worked.
    Under 9 though I get a new problem I can't reset the damn password. Also when it's loading up samba ain't on the listed shut it down and it's unloaded. ????????
    Hunted for Ksomba not there

Find gnomba and install that.
    Load it up and my NT workgroup is there and I can see my server. Can I log into it nope. Check the samba conf file and it's the same as the last working one from mandrake 8.2. When I'm trying to make the connection theres no active network connections.
    Test the connection from network setup and theres packets flying back and forth. I posted from mandrake last night. So what the £uck is going on. I don't think samba is loading properly.
    Also wheres Xkill got to as when trying to make the connection the entire thing locks up before it gives up which can be a long time. Old xkill used to great for hung linux apps. Why has ksomba dispappeared.

Main question how can I tell if samba has loaded or not???
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

ps ax | grep smbd

testparm
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Try it sunday as I'm out tomorrow morning listening to football in the afternoon and getting pissed in the evening.

I'm presuming logged as root.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
      X