Odd Monitor Trick....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Monitor Trick....

Seemingly out of the blue the monitor on my son's system has started to require a double boot of the computer to "activate".

First power on starts the computer but the monitor stays blank; if I then power off (reset won't do it) and back on again it comes up fine. (This "feature" is very repeatable). Switched monitors - same result.

The second restart does not cause scandisk to run...so I don't think the full boot is taking place.

(p3 650 Abit BX-6 W98 usual stuff)

Any ideas?
    P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Is the graphics card seated properly in the AGP slot?
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Yeah that would be the first thing I would check as gfx cards, especially agp ones have a habbit of slidding out of their slot and thats why in new mobo's they have clips on the slot to keep the card in place

Comment

Try different videocard.

Comment

Yep, badly seated agp card would be my first guess...

Powersupply would actually be my second. My system once refused to boot, but I could see the bus was not getting power (no SCSI-led, no NIC-led, ...), yet the drives spun up. After a lot of searching, I noticed the reset button was stuck inside the case (and pressed down permanently).

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I can remember my old Abit scambling the bios on my G400 /G550 cards. The first sign of this was happening was having boot the machine twice until eventually the machine wouldn't boot at all. Then I had to use the emergancy disk.
            After selling my Abit motherboard no more probs. Dunno if the same can happen to gfarce just noticed it was an abit you were using.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I'm willing to bet that your son's ABit is on the way out... bad caps with most all of them. Mine did the same prior to dying and with replacing the caps fixed it.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Had to replace a MSI K7T Pro2 today because 4 capasitors had blown

Mayby I should get som new and again curse over my soldering iron
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Burnt fingers, round two
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Tried another video card...same thing. I will put the old one back today and see if it was a slot problem. Otherwise, I guess he will have to live with it until it dies.

Greebe....Are the caps on an LX interchangeable with this BX? (Both Abit boards)

Thanks guys
                    P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Comment

oceaneer,

Doesn't using the dodgy caps off one Abit motherboard to replace the now dying caps on the other Abit motherboard worry you in the slightest?
                      80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

www.digikey.com carries what you need. Also use 105c grade, low ESR type caps for replacements.

Do not replace even older crappy caps of the same in another MB.. especially if it's an Abit!

Comment

rugger ....Not the best solution, I grant you, but it would give my offspring some soldering practice.....or, come to think of it , a perfect reason to ask for a new mb. What was I thinking????

Greebe....Thanks for the info. I am sure it will come to this sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by oceaneer
                            rugger ....Not the best solution, I grant you, but it would give my offspring some soldering practice.....or, come to think of it , a perfect reason to ask for a new mb. What was I thinking????

Greebe....Thanks for the info. I am sure it will come to this sooner rather than later.
                            If you really do like your motherboard, there are people around who can replace the caps for you, for a not too unreasonable price. Do a google search, I am sure you will find them quickly enough
                            80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Working...
                            X