Parhelia Users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia Users?

At this stage what do most of you intend to do? I know some ppl on the forum have already taken the step of selling their Parhelia and going to Radon 9700 route. Do you think you can hold on Matrox any longer or are you going to cash in while the Parhelia is still worth something?

I'm gonna stick by my Parhelia, it's a good card, and I don't have much trouble with it... so why change something that works (in my case at least)
    Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

Keep it for the next couple of years at least. It does all I need and more, and will likely still do that into the future.
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Shifting to a 9700.
        <a href="http://www.unspacy.com/ryu/systems.htm">Ryu's PCs</a>

Comment

i'm staying w/ the parhelia, the banding is somewhat annoying, plus they havne't said what they intend to do about it.

plus imho radeon 9700 is good, if you are a gamer, i love to game, but only a couple hours a day am i not staring at the monitors doing "work". So the parhelia suits the gaming needs as well as professional needs.

however few things in gaming have made my jaw drop as much as surround gaming. to a point faster is just faster.

Comment

Well, I am currently thinking about selling my Parhelia. Most annoying part is the performance, I hoped that it wouldn't be a problem to play at 1024x768x32, FAA and AF enabled at a decent framerate. That works on some games, but not on all games. Especially Trainz is giving me a headache.
            The second point would be aniso-filtering, it is still limited to 2x and it is SLOW, sometimes I am wondering why the performance drops down so much at such a low level of AF.
            The minor points are basicly FAA and Triple-Head. FAA works fine in most cases, but in some cases it doesn't, also the performance, especially combined with AF, isn't as high as I expected. Triple-Head would be nice I guess, but I won't have the space to get three monitors together, it actually looks that I won't even be able to use two monitors. So another big pro for the Parhelia doesn't count for me.

And from most people I heard that the 9700 Pro (I am going for Gigabyte or HIS, btw) isn't much worse in terms of IQ than the Parhelia, at least when it comes to single-screen.
            Specs:
            MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

I'm going to use my Parhelia maybe 2-3 years, like I did with my G400 also (I still have it). I like Parhelia very much. I can notice slight banding in some situations, but there is much more pro's than con's in this card.

Comment

I'm sticking with my Parhelia! I have very little banding problems on mine, and I'm very satisfied.

I currently test Command & Conquer Generals for EA-P and WOW! Generals look beautifull with 16x-FAA (Beta test is limited to 800x600 reolution) MUCH better on the Parhelia than with GeForce4 Ti4600

Guess I will use Parhelia a couple of years, like I did with my G400 MAX! IF Matrox manages to get over the problems it looks loke their having now, it will hopefully be canged out with the next Matrox card (that is more powerfull than the current P)

Comment

Raptor what screen do you use? Flat panel or crt? etc
                  thx

Comment

Dual 19" CRT with BNC connections.....

Comment

I'm intrigued that you suffer from little banding, what settings do you use on you card?

Comment

Gonna Parhelia (from G550)
                        Yours faithfully,
                        The AngeL @ Unreal Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by 3dfx
                          thx
                          1600x1200 32Bit on both monitors
                          Refresh-rate is 85 Hz

Everything else is standard in the drivers.....

Comment

3dfx, banding varies from card to card. Mine happens to be pretty bad.

Between that and Matrox's lagging drivers, I'm probably going to ATI when the next revision/price drop of the 9700 hits.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

103er-Fan:
                              Make sure your not running Trainz in OpenGL mode. I have a 2000+ also and Trainz runs generally not too bad in DirectX.
                              MrMikeman
                              <BR><FONT SIZE="1">
                              System 1 (MY baby!):
                              AMD Athlon 2000+, 512 MB DDR, Parhelia 128MB OEM, 3 X 17" Daytek's, 2 X 40 GB, 1 X 80 GB, Creative DVD 5X, Yamaha CDRWF1, SB Live! 5.1 & Creative 5300, Linksys 10/100, 3072 X 768 TH.
                              <BR>
                              System 2 (MAME rig):
                              PIII 800, G400MAX + RRG, 512 MB, SB 16, 10/100 NIC, real arcade monitor
                              <BR>
                              System 3 (Wife's):
                              Celeron 600 laptop, 192 MB, ATI Rage pro, 802.11b Wireless LAN
                              <BR>
                              System 4 (Kid's):
                              Durron 600, 512 MB, Radeon 64 VIVO, SB Live!, 10/100 NIC<BR>
                              </FONT>

Comment

Working...
                              X