Looks like my monitor gave up ghost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like my monitor gave up ghost

All of a sudden I lost the red in RGB (I'm well versed in Photoshop and in general understanding of colour so I know what colour channels and atractive colour mixing means).

(Adi Microscan 5 shadow mask bluratron™, G400 16SH)

The card is OK. The cables are OK (The problem persists in on screen built in menu (OSD)).

Q: What are chances and costs involved of repairing a dead circuitry/gun. IE does it require some soldering or massive replacements?

Q: I'm strapped on cash ATM, so what do you suggest (I need my monitor for source of income.)

- get 2nd hand 17" to bridge this situation (50-100$/€)
    - get decent 17" and later as I upgrade to 19" next year give it to my bro. (100-150$/€) (Hansol, LG, Samsung)
    - get quality 17" (Mitsubishi) (250$/€)

Thank you.

And recommendation to all of you: never buy Adi, since I was never happy with this monitor despite having only quality cards to drive it (G200, G400, Hercules 3D Prophet 2MX, back to G400) - poor colour, blurryness and ghosting.

Zokes, I know how you feel now.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 5 December 2002, 20:28.

Most likely it's a bad (cold) solder connection. Very common failure and fairly easy to fix (simple resolding), but for a service center to repair it can be quite costly.

If you can solder yourself be sure to unplug and allow to sit a bit before attempting this repair.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
      Most likely it's a bad (cold) solder connection. Very common failure and fairly easy to fix (simple resolding), but for a service center to repair it can be quite costly.

If you can solder yourself be sure to unplug and allow to sit a bit before attempting this repair.
      If you are opening your monitor, please:

1) Get yourself a heavy duty resistor that can withstand 1000V or more, and about 20-50K ohms (this may be a little high, but I don't know off the top of my head the right number, and a higher number just means it takes longer to discharge.)
      2) Buy a cheap digital multimeter (any old one will do, as long as the probes are insulated.)
      3) Discharge all large capacitors in the monitor using this resistor, while holding the resistor with an insulated pair of plyers. The resistor will probably get hot while discharging the capacitors, so don't use your fingers.
      4) After each minute or so, use the multimeter, set to the highest voltage (2000V or so), and measure the the voltage potential across the capacitor. If it is non-zero, you need to discharge it further. If zero, that capacitor is discharged, move to the next.
      5) Once you have discharged all the capacitors, be sure to check all the capacitors a second time, in case a capacitor you dischage is charged up again by a different capacitor (unlikely, but it wouldn't suprise me)

This is probably erring on the paranoid side, but its better to be safe than across the other side of the room singed. Don't just dischage the capacitors using a screwdriver or other object. It is hard on the components

If possible, work with somebody else around, just in case something happens.

See http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mo...tml#MONFAQ_003 for more info on discharging your screen
      80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

I'll ask a friend who worked in OEM and now teaches MCSE who used to fix computers monitors for a living to look into it.

Rugger - great link, thanks.

I really need to get more into electronics.
        Last edited by UtwigMU; 6 December 2002, 07:37.

Comment

Rugger nice trick Rugger.
          I'm gonna paint my monitor... will use your safety guide
          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Think you are being over zealous rugger.

The only thing I've had to discharge in any monitor has been the CRT's anode once unplugged from AC line.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Whats wrong been across the other room singed.
              Makes life a lot more interesting.
              Like me when I pulled the fuses for the downstairs wiring nothing working put a new socket on and I get a belt. I wonder which side the fusebox is on???
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

When I was 4 years old I unscrewed a lamp from a bedroom lamp and put my tongue there instead
                The world became electric blue!
                I screwed the lamp back in the socket and never told my parents because I knew that they would yell at me
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                  When I was 4 years old I unscrewed a lamp from a bedroom lamp and put my tongue there instead
                  The world became electric blue!
                  I screwed the lamp back in the socket and never told my parents because I knew that they would yell at me

Comment

Worst thing is that I didn’t pass out or even burn my tongue

But I felt really charged
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                      Think you are being over zealous rugger.

The only thing I've had to discharge in any monitor has been the CRT's anode once unplugged from AC line.
                      Thats probably true.

But unless you are in a hurry, there is no reason NOT to spend a few more minutes ensuring the monitors, and your, safety.

Technoid,

ROFL

You probably did burn your tounge somewhat, but since they heal damn quickly, its easy to forget.
                      80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

I have the same monitor, (ADI Microscan 5G), and while there is a little ghosting, it is certainly not blurry or lacking in color. In fact, people have remarked on how sharp it is.

These monitors have a 42-month warranty -- you should be able to get a replacement from ADI?

Comment

@ orangejulis:

Over 42 monht so no go. The retailer I bought the monitor at stopped carrying Adi soon after I got it (6-9 months) because of too manny problems. This may seem andecdotal, but I've seen 2 years to twice as old monitors (15 Samsung Syncmasters owned by one company among others) that looked better than that one did. Hell this Compaq I got is like night and day compared to that.

Got a 2nd hand el-cheapo CompaqV700 - it looked the best out of 5 monitors I tested (IBM, Philips, Fujitsu-Siemens) before buying. I'm planning a decent 19" next year after I upgrade other stuff (broadband, computer, printer, monitor).

What should I do with this Adi crappola?
                          - throw it from the 5th floor
                          - sell it for 5$
                          - buy a voltmeter and soldering iron and discower the wondurful world of fixing electronic equipment
                          Last edited by UtwigMU; 10 December 2002, 14:06.

Comment

Working...
                          X