Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water ice found at Martian south pole...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water ice found at Martian south pole...

Scientists reported Thursday they have discovered frozen water near the south pole of Mars, a finding that will help to create more accurate computer models of Martian climate and could be useful in the future when human space missions reach the red plane

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

cool, there will be something cool to drink if I ever get there
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

great
      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Then you discover that life DID exist on Mars, and in fact is still there in the form of bacterial spores frozen in the ice. The bacteria quickly discover that the inside of your eyes is the best growth medium they could ever find, and in just a few minutes, their metabolic wastes and CO2 exhaust cause your eyes to pop.

Moral of the story: Don't drink water from other planets before using your tricorder to check if it's safe first.

Comment

M'eh! Run it through a Brita filter!

Seriously though, with water can come life.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Anybody else have another source? These are the same guys that published an article the other day "confirming" that violent video games messed up your brain.

The Mars thing is probably true, but I'd like a less dubious source.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I don't see how this discovery changes much....
              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I thought that was quite old, they have know about ice on the poles for quite a while.
                I have heard from a few other sources(scientific), but I can't recall right now. I am sure a google search will turn a few hits uo.

I have no doubt whatsovever that it is true...

Comment

So yay, they find water on the South pole now, while it was only thought to be on North Pole before....

Still changes little.....

Comment

I got the Scotch let's go....ROFL!!!!!

Paul
                    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

hehe...burbon for me

Comment

they didn't know what the ice was... you can freeze lots of things... even vodka if you've got a cold enough freezer...
                        Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

I'm not convinced about the rest of the article, myself. It talks about Mars always being cold. I really can't see how that's possible.

It started out with the same basic components as earth - but without the magnetic field to protect it from the solar winds. So the atmosphere it had was slowly blown away over a billion years. There was still plenty of time for life to evolve before it got too cold

I think these people ought to consult with a few other 'experts' before firing off their pet theories
                          It's easy to die in the past. Staying alive is much more difficult!

Comment

hmm...blown away by solar winds?

most people think mars atomsphere "boiled off'.
                            it "boiled" off because its atomspheric composition tended to absorb heat AND
                            It has a lot lower gravity to earth...on earth very few molecules acquire enough energy to escape our atmosphere...h2 helium are the 2 major molecules that will gain escape velocities due to the normal statistical distributions of kinetic energies due to normal solar atomsphereic conditions.

But on mars patricles as big as methane will have a large enough percentage of molecules that can obtain an escape velocity due to normal atomospheric and solar conditions.

Earth will always leak hydrogen and helium

Mars will leak a large percentage of its atomsphere...O2 included but Co2 is border line(the process does take millions/billions of years)

Comment

Let us not look for life until we ensure the survival of our own by colonizing near-earth space....

By this I mean the moon....

Going from the moon to mars should be comparatively easy compared to going from the earth....

Comment

Working...
                              X