MP3 Ripping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP3 Ripping

So what does everyone use these days to rip CDs to MP3s? Looking to rip some of my CDs to my Hard drive.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

I like to use Exact Audio Copy and LAME w/Razorlame front end.

Exact Audio Copy is a so called audio grabber for CDs using standard CD and DVD-ROM drives. The main differences
    Epox 8RDA+
    AMD XP 2500+ w/ Alpha PAL 8045
    512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
    ATI 8500 64mb
    Hercules Fortissimo II
    Tekram DC-315U
    Pioneer DVD 303S
    Pioneer DVR-106
    Zip100 Internal
    Logitech MX 500 Mouse
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
    Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 gig HD
    Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 40 gig HD
    LG Flatron 795FT+
    Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones
    Altec Lansing 641 Speakers

Comment

Yes, EAC is the way to go. As encoder definitely use the LAME (3.92 is current I think), you can also use the DLL version with EAC.
      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
      My System
      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
      German ATI-forum

Comment

I'm using CDex, with the LAME backend.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Last time I ripped I used Windac and Lame....
          I found a nice Webradio channel that plays what I like
          So I haven't done much ripping lately
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I used to use CDex with LAME on the fly encode, but now I use CDex to rip to wav and then encode with Ogg Vorbis. CDex would keep crashing when I tried to use vorbis while ripping.
            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

what grail does. also dont use lame 3.93 it's borked.
              no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

EAC really is the best thing to use, and Lame for the mp3. Otherwise I use MPC codec which is a LOT better than mp3. Unfortunately MPC is not used by any portable device.
                System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

i have my doubts that MPC is a LOT better then MP3. some people just don't know how to encode MP3 properly.
                  no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

i used to use EAC w/ GOGO as an encoder. Now days i used EAC w/ LAME.

EAC is a great ripping tool, excellent error detection and correction features, very flexible too.

Lame is a good mp3 encoding codec... fairly fast...

if you have an SMP system i would suggest you look at Gogo... it was a modification on LAME to allow SMP support and also do all around speed improvements. on the dually i had (2x 1ghz P3's) i could do 256k VBR encodes in 10-15 seconds for a full song.
                    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by thop
                      i have my doubts that MPC is a LOT better then MP3. some people just don't know how to encode MP3 properly.
                      How true
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Thop, Lame 3.93.1 was released on December 1. I'm using it with Audiograbber on the fly ripping to mp3 and it seems okay.
                        Laurie
                        ======

Comment

Originally posted by thop

You're right about that, many people don't know how to encode properly, and too many people think that 128 kb/s is CD quality . Nervertheless there is a noticeable difference between MP3 and MPC. Of course you won't hear it on cheap PC speakers but I have a good stereo system and it reproduces enough details to hear a difference.
                          To be honest it also depends on the music, some tracks will be almost impossible to differentiate while some other will be very easy.
                          Anyway if you want to store music with the best quality, Monkey Audio is the way to go. It's 300 - 350 Meg for an album but it's really CD quality
                          System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

What about just keeping it on the CD?
                            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                            X