How It Works: Fragment Anti-Aliasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How It Works: Fragment Anti-Aliasing

By now we've all heard of the various anti-aliasing techniques employed by the latest video cards. Multi-sampling is currently the implemenation of choice for ATI and NVIDIA, but what about fragment level anti-aliasing such as that used by the Matrox Parhelia? In this article, Dave explores the advantages and pitfalls of Fragment AA. See how it works in today's article!
    FiringSquad article

edit: prettied up the link
    Last edited by Greebe; 4 December 2002, 05:36.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

On the last page:
    Matrox is the big pusher of fragment level anti-aliasing today. At present, they still have some issues with their implementation, yet rumors have it that this will be corrected in their next-generation part (though recent reports indicate this part will never even see the light of day). If so, it is certainly a worthwhile feature.
    Do these rumours originated from here ?

Interesting article, nevertheless...

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
      On the last page:

Do these rumours originated from here ?

Can't have come from here - if it's not on the boards it doesn't "exist"
      "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

µße®LørÐ - A legend in his underwear
      Member of For F*ck Sake UT clan
      DriverHeaven administrator
      PowerVR Network administrator

Comment

@ Greebe! This is not a Matrox Hardware only article so this belongs in the General Hardware and not in the Matrox Hardware where you moved it to!!!!

Did you even read it?
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
          @ Greebe! This is not a Matrox Hardware only article so this belongs in the General Hardware and not in the Matrox Hardware where you moved it to!!!!

Did you even read it?
          Guru, why are you such a know it all whiny little twit?

The title of this stupid thread, which YOU made, "How It Works: Fragment Anti-Aliasing" is a MATROX HARDWARE subject.

You aren't related to Jordan are you?

Casey

Comment

pfffff

Can see cabin fever is already affecting your judgement.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Casey Jones
              The title of this stupid thread, which YOU made, "How It Works: Fragment Anti-Aliasing" is a MATROX HARDWARE subject.
              "Fragment Anti-Aliasing" is not a Matrox-specific subject. It just happens that Matrox hardware is the only hardware to implement it at the moment. "Fragment Anti-Aliasing as Implemented by the Parhelia" would be a Matrox-specific subject.

And the name-calling was quite uncalled for.
              Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

"Fragment Anti-Aliasing" is not a Matrox-specific subject. It just happens that Matrox hardware is the only hardware to implement it at the moment.
                Which fully qualifies it as a Matrox Hardware specific.

"Fragment Anti-Aliasing as Implemented by the Parhelia" would be a Matrox-specific subject.
                Regardless. If you drop the "as implemented by the Parhelia" which you added only for sake of arguement only, it still reads the same as Casey stated.

---

How's this Guru, I won't tell you how to run Team DGC and you don't tell me how to run the forum I moderate and leave it at that.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
                  "Fragment Anti-Aliasing" is not a Matrox-specific subject. It just happens that Matrox hardware is the only hardware to implement it at the moment. "Fragment Anti-Aliasing as Implemented by the Parhelia" would be a Matrox-specific subject.

And the name-calling was quite uncalled for.
                  Fragment Anti Aliasing is only a Matrox feature. Don't be a Guru

Casey

Comment

surely a lot of * in here.
                    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

I agree the name-calling and the little intestine fights are pretty ridiculous.

I kind of agree it belongs to General Hardware as FAA is a technology (like anisotropic filtering), not a product (like matrox Parhelia), and can be used in any software/hardware. On the other hand, it's true people looking for info on FAA are more likely to visit "Matrox hardware".

Comment

I haven't looked at it too closely lately, but I believe that Matrox has FAA covered with patents.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by ElDonAntonio
                          I agree the name-calling and the little intestine fights are pretty ridiculous.

I kind of agree it belongs to General Hardware as FAA is a technology (like anisotropic filtering), not a product (like matrox Parhelia), and can be used in any software/hardware. On the other hand, it's true people looking for info on FAA are more likely to visit "Matrox hardware".
                          I agree with Greebe, since only Matrox has FAA implemented. Moreover, talking about technology, if you were to discuss Quincunx (spelled right?) wouldn't you put it under Nvidia Hardware (if it existed) rather than General Hardware? It's a technology, but only Nvidia uses it (AFAIK). If there were other companies to licence and use it, then it might become General hardware. In the meantime, on implementation makes it pretty much Nvidia Hardware.

Just replace Quincunx by FAA and Nvidia by Matrox and see what happens...

Comment

I believe 3DLabs implements Quincunx. (Don't ATi do it as well now?)

And since the FSAA on the P10 is at least partially, if not entirely, done in the VPU "software", implementing FAA shouldn't be all that hard either (theoretically).

And if you read the article, Matrox don't get mentioned more than in passing until about page 4 of 6. Then they talk about how FAA is probably implemented on the Parhelia (since they don't know exactly). And then on the next page, they present a theoretical alternative implementation!
                            Last edited by Ribbit; 7 December 2002, 13:28.
                            Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Working...
                            X