Solid Edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid Edge

Have a customer that uses solide edge and they need a couple of new systems! The base configuration I/we have "agreed" to is:

P4 2.8GHz/3.06GHz
    Intel 845PE Mobo
    1GB+ PC2700 DDR
    1X 30GB 7200 HD for the OS and 1x 80GB Maxtor 9+ (8MB cache) for solid edge!

I have offered them a warity of Graphichs cards Matrox P (To slow?), Fire GL 8700/8800 (Old tech to slow), Fire GL 2 Fire GL 4 (Expencive and slow???), Fire GL 4 (Expencive also will it be enough???), and the Quadro4 XGL 900 Series (Expencive although cheaper then the FGL4)

So my Q is what card would you recomend and no it does not have to be among the ones that I have offered to them! And yes they are working with realy big and demanding files! Keep in mind thou that the prices in Finland are quite high, for example the fire GL2 is ~1350 € and the Fire GL4 is ~2750€, and the Quadro4 XGL 900 is ~1750€ Right now th poor bastards are working with dell laptops (1.2Ghz, 512, 30GB, Radeon 7500)! Hey thats what you get for not taking my advice!

I hope that if you answer this Q you have atleast some exp with OpenGL/Cad aplications becouse benchmark numbers does not mean anything with apps like this!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

What price are the other cards?
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Originally posted by Pace
      PNY QUADRO DCC 1 : 966.90 €
      PNY QUADRO 2 PRO 3 : 966.90 €
      PNY QUADRO4 200 NVS : 207.90 €
      PNY QUADRO 4 200 NVS PCI 4 : 213.40 €
      PNY QUADRO4 400 NVS 1 : 577.50 €
      PNY QUADRO4 550 XGL : 453.20 €
      PNY QUADRO4 700 XGL 1 : 834.90 €
      PNY QUADRO4 900 XGL 1 : 1787.50 €
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Sorry, I don't have any experience with CAD so feel free to ignore me (I don't even know what Solid Edge is), but have you looked at the 3DLabs Wildcat VP boards? IIRC the VP870 is about the same speed as the Parhelia on fillrate, on geometry it should be much faster. 3DLabs aim themselves exactly at this kind of market as well.

Edit: If they're working with really huge and demanding files, perhaps they should be looking at the really big cards like the Wildcat III or 4. Although I shudder to think how much those monsters might cost...
        Last edited by Ribbit; 3 December 2002, 16:32.
        Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

ATI FIRE GL 2 RETAIL : 1380.50 €
          ATI FIRE GL 4 RETAIL 4 : 2794.00 €
          ATI FIRE GL8800 128MB : 1133.00 €

All cards retail and prices taken from our webshop!

Comment

Parhelia in euros?
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Parhelia in euros?
              128MB ~525€, 256MB ~725€

Comment

Any choices besides PNY? I've never liked their product offerings.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
                  Sorry, I don't have any experience with CAD so feel free to ignore me (I don't even know what Solid Edge is), but have you looked at the 3DLabs Wildcat VP boards? IIRC the VP870 is about the same speed as the Parhelia on fillrate, on geometry it should be much faster. 3DLabs aim themselves exactly at this kind of market as well.

Edit: If they're working with really huge and demanding files, perhaps they should be looking at the really big cards like the Wildcat III or 4. Although I shudder to think how much those monsters might cost...
                  Yes I looked @ them but since the only site I found that tested it is THWG! Any ways not realy sure of their price wiill have to check it out tomorrow!

BTW what is the difference betwean the 3DLABS WILDCAT VP870 128MT and the 3DLABS WILDCAT VP970 128MT?

Anyways price is not realy "that important" but I realy do not want to sell them a FGL2 card for 5 times the ammount of a 9700Pro if it is not any faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                    Any choices besides PNY? I've never liked their product offerings.
                    Don't think so! PNY is the only Quadro provider Nvidia links (also the only one oure normal resellers list after Elsa....)

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
                      BTW what is the difference betwean the 3DLABS WILDCAT VP870 128MT and the 3DLABS WILDCAT VP970 128MT?
                      AFAIK, the only difference is the 970 is faster. There are performance figures on 3DLabs' site, but they're a bit obscure (what does "AA samples per second" mean exactly?) There are also downloadable "datasheets", they should mention any other differences if there are any.

There have been at least one or two reviews other than THWG, some googling should turn them up.

I think I'm off to bed now, hope I've been of help.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
                        There have been at least one or two reviews other than THWG, some googling should turn them up.
                        Or the search function at her site! But still I do not realy trust her!

Comment

OK, I didn't go to bed, I went googling for you. Here's a couple or reviews I found (both of the 870):
                          Digit-life (against the Parhelia, Ti4600, and 8500): http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/p10/
                          Extremetech (against the Quadro 4 750): http://www.extremetech.com/print_art...a=29756,00.asp

The second one includes SolidEdge benchmarks.

I was checking prices of these cards the other day as well. From memory:
                          VP560: £160
                          VP760: £250
                          VP870: £400
                          VP970: £800
                          Add 50% for Euro figures.

Right. Now I really am off to bed. I mean it this time!
                          Last edited by Ribbit; 3 December 2002, 17:25.

Comment

I don't get it...

Since the actual rendering is done by CPU, why do you need the aboslute fastest card just to draw wireframes?

Would anyone enlighten me please... thanks.
                            P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                            Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                            And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Because the rendering isn't done by the CPU, it's done by the card, just like in a game or whatever else. And there are an awful lot of wires in those wireframes.

Comment

Working...
                              X