Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Kyle still can't get over Parhelia Envy

Does It Still Suck?
    Has the Matrox Parhelia aged like a fine wine or does it still bite as hard as a hot bottle of MD 20/20 on a summer day? Dave ponders those questions and many others at Beyond3D. Dave ponders those questions and many others at Beyond3D.

If you are a high end gamer then it's unquestionable that you'd be looking at either the Radeon 9700 PRO or the upcoming GeForce FX for pure performance and future features.

From a gaming standpoint there is absolutely no reason to purchase this card unless you simply cannot live without "Surround Gaming" or three monitor support, whatever you want to call it. Still the biggest downside to the Parhelia is not really the performance, it is having to live with being teased and beat up by all the NVIDIA and ATI owners out there.
    [H]ardocp

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Still the biggest downside to the Parhelia is not really the performance, it is having to live with being teased and beat up by all the NVIDIA and ATI owners out there.

Comment

This guy really needs to get a life.

FRAMERATES...Does it play well? Don't care, it didn't get 4000000 FPS.
      "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

But the guy is right... from a gaming stand point you can find cheaper cards that perform better, with the one exception of FAA. But, seeing as FAA is broken in a number of games....

*shrug* whatever...
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Still the biggest downside to the Parhelia is not really the performance, it is having to live with being teased and beat up by all the NVIDIA and ATI owners out there.
          I hate being teased by the nVidia owners

....I want my mommy

Comment

Seems he hasn't noticed the banding. This is rather funny as he's looking for weak spots. Ah he still hasn't got a card has he.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
              Seems he hasn't noticed the banding. This is rather funny as he's looking for weak spots. Ah he still hasn't got a card has he.

Nope. I think that is why he is so upset.
              "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                But the guy is right... from a gaming stand point you can find cheaper cards that perform better, with the one exception of FAA. But, seeing as FAA is broken in a number of games....

*shrug* whatever...
                Whatever valid point he might have, and I agree that if you don't need triple head or want surround gaming you're better off with other cards, it gets flushed down the toilet when he shoots himself in the foot with the last phrase:
                And he can't lower himself to buying a retail card after all this time ?
                Last edited by Admiral; 2 December 2002, 14:20.

Comment

acctually, he did buy a card. he posted that he bought it with his own cash quite a while ago. granted, it was the same post that said he was having a hell of a time getting 2k and .NET working together, but still...
                  "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Oh yes and he couldn't install the drivers if I remember correctly.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Nonono, he could install the drivers... he was just having the same problem that a ton and a half of people here were having involving Win2k SP3 and .NET SP2

Comment

Originally posted by Byock
                        This guy really needs to get a life.

FRAMERATES...Does it play well? Don't care, it didn't get 4000000 FPS.

Here Byock highlight one important thing!

High FPS is not equal with high gaming performance...

Playability is the KEY!

Not high FPS!

Steady Slow framerates is nothing compared to framerates that goes rollercoaster all the time

Originally posted by DGhost

*shrug* whatever...

DGhost on the other hand is a good example of how Nvidians and Atians are generally thinking!

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

hehe, I was being sarcastic. But you said it better anyhow...

Comment

hah, nice of you to call me that as this is seriously the only forum i post on (that is video card related).

But, a $100-$200 card provides just as much playability as my $400 Parhelia which has several defects that Matrox has chosen to ignore so far. So much for the legendary support, one of the reasons i bought the Parhelia.

Simple facts, yo. go re-read all my posts to see if i am an NVidiot or a Fanatic before labelling me as such.

Edit: bottom line is that gamers should avoid the card as they can get a better value elsewhere. professionals should avoid it because of the fact that Matrox is dropping the ball on several occasions. anything else i missed?
                            Last edited by DGhost; 2 December 2002, 14:23.

Comment

Hmm maybe I should send him mine since I got a Radeon 9700 off Ebay today
                              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Working...
                              X