Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beyond3d parhelia review

I havenĀ“t read it yet.
    This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

thx , I am gonna read now
    Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

just a rehash of an old review. nothing really worth it...

Comment

well a good comparison with the new drivers
        pretty good review I would say (even if its old)
        Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

Well done review, gots of information on the driver performance differences... wonder if this is some of the stuff VigilAnt was refering to when it doesn't properly support several functions (and thus would require a work around).

kinda wished they had checked to see about the banding issue though...
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I thought it was quite a good review. Interesting on the driver revision comparison. Quite fair and honest.
            Oh my god MAGNUM!

Comment

Well, I thaught that in the light of previous FPS reviews, this one couldnt have been better.

It talks about what its good at - with caveats.

I was a teetering maybee buyer, and it definately put me further in the 'feck it - buy it' camp.

I am bored of the 'kick P, Kick M 'stuff on this forum, especially from those with only a few, ill informed posts. I listen to Wombat (hat off to you sir), Dr Mordrid, hell, even Joel .... I am, though, quite frankly pissed off with the communal mourning-fest taking place in 'other threads'....

My 2c the flame pants are on!

RedRed
              Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

You don't happen to be a fireman do you? Cause there's a risk you're in for a hell of a ride!

Comment

Originally posted by CaineTanathos
                  well a good comparison with the new drivers
                  pretty good review I would say (even if its old)
                  not so much... the few interesting graphs are the ones actually comparing the 1.00.x drivers with the 1.02.x performance-wise (and you can't say the 1.02.x are exactly doing a good show....).

All the tests are done with the 1.00.x drivers which is useless if you want to know the kind of performance boost you can expect (when numbers go up) with or without AA/FAA/AF etc. That's exactly what they _didn't_ show. There's only a brief comparison at a few resolutions with no settings combination whatsoever. Pretty lame comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                    Beyond3D has not had a Parhelia before, so this wasn't a 'rehash'.

All the tests are done with the 1.00.x drivers which is useless if you want to know the kind of performance boost you can expect (when numbers go up) with or without AA/FAA/AF etc. That's exactly what they _didn't_ show. There's only a brief comparison at a few resolutions with no settings combination whatsoever. Pretty lame comparison.
                    No, the main FAA/2X Aniso tests were done with the later 1.2.0.42 drivers, not the earlier set. That is a typo, so thanks for pointing it (I'm off to update in a second). However, you can correlate the 'normal' scores back to the driver comparison to see they are they same as the 1.2.0.42 drivers.

I figure there isn't much point in comparing the driver sets in these tests since if they show a certian pattern without FSAA and/or Aniso then it's pretty likely that same trend will show with them. Plus, I didn't wish to spend the rest of my life benchmarking!

Originally posted by RedRed
                    [B]Well, I thaught that in the light of previous FPS reviews, this one couldnt have been better.
                    How so? I'm keen for input...

It talks about what its good at - with caveats.
                    It has to. I'm reporting on what I see / find (and occasionally relating that to what I know and extrapolating it into different situations). Unfortunatly the caveats are not my doing but what I see/find with the card - I have to report all things.
                    'Wavey' Dave
                    Beyond3d

Comment

He's refering to all the other sites which have done reviews akin to this one.

Most of which, tho sadly and unlike your review only focused on FPS in key benchmarks/typical games (Q3 etc) and slaughtered the card unduely without pointing out or emphasizing the positives. Nor going into as much detail as you did.

Personally I thought it was fairly well done.
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I thought also that it was a good review, specifically targetted at a more "thoughtful" audience (ie B3D).

However I would be very interested to see if the upcoming (is it still gonna happen?) SS:SE patch from Croteam has any benefit to performance - and how that one affects things using surround gaming with multi viewport rendering - will this be the first game to do it? You obviously favour it as a benchmarking tool Dave

Typedef used the patch in his review, but obviously couldn't post any numbers from it...
                        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I thought it was a great review! nice job Dave
                          Last edited by ElDonAntonio; 3 December 2002, 01:24.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveBaumann

No, the main FAA/2X Aniso tests were done with the later 1.2.0.42 drivers, not the earlier set. That is a typo, so thanks for pointing it (I'm off to update in a second). However, you can correlate the 'normal' scores back to the driver comparison to see they are they same as the 1.2.0.42 drivers.

I figure there isn't much point in comparing the driver sets in these tests since if they show a certian pattern without FSAA and/or Aniso then it's pretty likely that same trend will show with them. Plus, I didn't wish to spend the rest of my life benchmarking!

How so? I'm keen for input...

It has to. I'm reporting on what I see / find (and occasionally relating that to what I know and extrapolating it into different situations). Unfortunatly the caveats are not my doing but what I see/find with the card - I have to report all things.
                            OK. Pretty big typo, but it shines new light on your review

Comment

It's a good review but the same Things that other sites found out, too.
                              Yours faithfully,
                              The AngeL @ Unreal Soldier

Comment

Working...
                              X