Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What 's the difference between MGA G200 and Mill G200?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What 's the difference between MGA G200 and Mill G200?

What 's the difference between MGA G200 and Millennium G200?

Any difference in 2D speed?

I think the millennium G200 is the one has a heatsink on the chip and the chip is very hot, and the MGA G200 is the one without the heatsink, also very cool.

btw, any further difference?

Is the pic provided below the MGA G200?
    Attached Files

The older one was on a .25µ process and the new was on a 0.18µ process. Also there was the Millennium G200 which had SGRAM and then the SD version with SDRAM
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

MGA 200, Is the oem one, iit usually uses sdram, and has 200mhz ramdac?

The millenium 200 uses sgram and has 250mhz ramdac.

when they first came out I got a mga200, I did not like the 2d quality and the ram was slower, so I took it back and got a millenium 200...which I thought was the ducks nuts at the time.

Comment

But which was rather interesting as the MGA G200 was also more overclockable and produced the best benchmark #'s at the time

(Still have my Mil G200 here
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

i believe they had 230 MHz RamDac's, and not all of them.
          also the early mystique's did have a 230 DAC.

later on matrox released MGA-G200, or OEM's with 250 MHz DAC's just like the Millenniums.

That pic might be a G250 .. a souped up version of the G200 with a lower gate process, and a slightly higher clock speed(90 vs. 85 ?), that's why it doesn't need a heatsink.

Also it doesn't have any upgrades or any connectors for them, more like the LE version of the G200, no ram upgrade, no TVO, no flat panel add-on, no DVD hardware decoder.

this is different than the original G200 OEM, which had a heatsink and had a bigger PCB.
          GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
            The older one was on a .25µ process and the new was on a 0.18µ process. Also there was the Millennium G200 which had SGRAM and then the SD version with SDRAM
            Whoa Greebe ... better get the dust outta your braincells (or whatever else there might be), dude ...

All G200s were manufactured in .35µ, only the famous G250s, which were sold as OEM cards only, got a shrink down to .25µ !
            The G450 was the first chip that got shrunk down to .18µ ...

To me, the difference between Millennium G200 and MGA-200 is rather like retail vs. OEM, while MGA-200 being the retail card and probably equipped with SDRAM like the Mystique G200, as opposed to use of SGRAM on the Millennium G200.
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
            LG BH10LS38
            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Have to agree with Maggi. AFAIK only Millenium came with SGRAM. MGA G200 was with SD, but I think it had a 250MHz RAMDAC just like Mill... Do I remember correctly that there was a MGA G200 with 16MB RAM?
              BTW, my MillG200 is still working pretty OK in my machine. However I'm looking for a replacement now as some games doesn't start due to the lack of TnL, shaders, etc...

Comment

Whoa yeah I was just lookin at my docs and ... well there sure are a mess of them

Comment

So anyone can tell me the picture in the top thread is the MGA-G200? Was it made using .25 tech?

thx all you guys explanation, it's great!!

Comment

Not a Millenium G200 from '98 for sure. It doesn't have the VIDEO connectors(for RR-G) plus the socket for extra 8Megs of SG RAM, plus it has some cut PCB just under the VGA connector.
                    If it's your card then could you please tell us the model no. of the RAM chips? I can make out that they're Hyundai ones, but based on the model no. we could check whether they're SG or SD.

EDIT: I'm 200% sure that it's not a Mystique also.
                    EDIT2: If it's your card then an FCC-ID would be also very helpful.
                    Last edited by ganyaik; 2 December 2002, 10:58.

Comment

The cut behind the backplate means it is for NLX (? - I think) cases. Usuually found in OEM machines like older IBMs. This leads me to suspect that it is an OEM board of some time or another. Not sure if it'll even fit in a normal case with ATX mobo.

G
                      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I have something remotely resembling that marked G2+/MILA/8D/CPQ here. It has the memory expansion slot and three connectors not positioned like yours (could have been) though.

That is supposed to be a COMPAQ OEM G200 without on-board bios. Yours seems to lack a bios chip as far as I can tell (or am I missing something obvious?) and might also be an OEM something despite the matrox text on the board.

(Also tripped over this link MGA Chip ident )
                        Last edited by cadwal; 2 December 2002, 11:23.

Comment

Originally posted by ganyaik
                          Not a Millenium G200 from '98 for sure. It doesn't have the VIDEO connectors(for RR-G) plus the socket for extra 8Megs of SG RAM, plus it has some cut PCB just under the VGA connector.
                          If it's your card then could you please tell us the model no. of the RAM chips? I can make out that they're Hyundai ones, but based on the model no. we could check whether they're SG or SD.

EDIT: I'm 200% sure that it's not a Mystique also.
                          EDIT2: If it's your card then an FCC-ID would be also very helpful.
                          The chip: MGA-G200A-D2
                          0010KU217

The memory is made by HYUNDAI

I think the FCC iD is : G2/MECOA8B/20D

I think it should be a OEM MGA G200...
                          btw, could you tell me is this card based on the .35 or .25? Any 2D speed difference between the Millennium G200?

thx a lot!!

Comment

That's not an FCC ID, but it surely did help. So this page says that the model number G2/MECOA8B/20D stands for:
                            Millennium G200 LE - 8 MB
                            (Non-upgradeable for either memory or video)

Comment

Working...
                            X