cheap good speakers for my stereo system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap good speakers for my stereo system

my old speakers died today and i'm looking to replace them ASAP. i'm not exactly rich at the moment so i set myself a limit of 350€/$.

my amp is far from spectecular (an almost 10 year old denon amplifier, PMA-715R) so i guess high end speakers would be a waste anyway.

i'd maybe prefer a surround system but i don't know if there are any good ones in that price range. so a usual stereo setup would also do.

so any recommendation from the hifi gurus here? a listening test will be my ultimate judgement but i'd like some hints what speakers i have to look for.

some speakers i found in that price range:

Canton Movie 10-MX (II)
    JBL SCS10
    JBL SCS85
    Magnat Digital Home Cinema 5100
    Quadral Surround 1280 aktiv
    Sony SA-VE335
    no matrox, no matroxusers.

oh and when i'm listening to music does the stereo get extrapolated over all speakers?

Comment

Originally posted by thop
      oh and when i'm listening to music does the stereo get extrapolated over all speakers?
      Pardon? (I left my decoder ring at the office last Wed.)
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

actually what i was trying to ask: can i plug 5.1 into a non-surround amp (loosing the 5.1 of course) ?

Comment

So your old Denon is steroe only, is that correct?

If so, then you'll be wasting your money getting those surround sets. From what I could find, only the Magnat system has a built in decoder. So with that system I'm guessing the satelite speakers would all connect to the subwoofer (I might be wrong thoug).

With the other systems, you would need a surround receiver/amp to be able to connect all speakers. If you connect them to your stereo amp, you'd come up 3 channels short.

So in short: of those systems, as far as I can see the only one you can use is the Magnat one if you are going for surround. Other audiophiles, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

If you aren't going for surround anyway, then you'd probably be better off buying a decent pair of shelf speakers.
          If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

like Chris says, if you've only got a stereo amplifier, you'll only be able to run two of the speakers... it's that simple... the other speakers (with possible exception of the sub-woofer) will be left idle. You can buy add-on processor/amplifers which can be used in addition to your stereo amplifer to turn your system into a 5.1 setup, Yamaha make such a processor and I for one rate such a setup quite highly because you're keeping the purity of your two channel stereo system in tact for the musical aspect of things... however that will incur more costs and might not really be inside your budget.

I wouldn't worry yourself with 5.1/6.1/7.1 setups unless you're really into the whole movie sound thing...
            Last edited by Agent31; 1 December 2002, 20:49.
            Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Moved over to the General Hardware/Software forum. There may be some ppl there that can help you that may not vist the Soap Box.

Joel
              Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
              Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

You could look out for bundles of speaker & A/V amp at your local Media Markt, ProMarkt, Saturn, etc.

They're usually WAY under normal street prices, because they're from last year's collection (which doesn't make them sound bad, of course, and by next year, they'd be last year's collection anyway).

You might also want to take a look at Teufel's speakers.

The M80/M800 or M80/M825 is really good value - you can buy the stereo set now, and the center & rear speakers later, when you've got the money.

I own the M80/M825, and I like them. I cannot really speak about their audiophile qualities, because my amp isn't the very best and I have nothing else to compare them with, but they sound good to me.

Also, I haven't yet dared to turn the volume up as much as they would allow me to, because my ears wouldn't like that.

The M825 can deliver real deep (yet not too "muddy") bass for the price.

You can buy Teufel speakers ONLY from Teufel directly, but with the new Fernabsatzgesetz you have two weeks to try them out, and you must get a full refund after that.

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Oh, and I forgot:

The sattelites are small enough that I can use them as speakers for my PC, too - which is better than ANY PC sound system you can buy.

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Wow, all this cool stuff you can only get in Germany.
                    Titanium is the new bling!
                    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Another manufacturer who sells his speakers directly is Nubert - according to the reviews that are quoted on their homepage their products offer exceptional "value for money". If you are interested in getting a speaker set from last year's collection, check out Hirsch + Ille - they offer discontinued products at extremely low prices. For example, you can find speakers by Magnat or Heco for less than 50 % of the manufacturer's recommended selling price. By the way: With a limit of 350 €, I'd probably stick to a conventional stereo system. Good luck for your search!

Comment

thanks for all the suggestions, i'll look through the links now

Comment

ok i'll definitively get a stero system after i read some reviews and comments. i might get the NuBox 380 (378€/pair), thanks for the tip!

Comment

i got the NuBox 380 today, they are fecking great!!
                            thanks for the tip, again

Comment

Working...
                            X