Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the G400MAX run without the fan?

Hi,

My old G400MAX is running in my server (just basic webserver, fileserver and internet-routing machine) and the fan of the G400 is making this terrible squeking metal-to-metal noise.

Is it safe to completely remove the fan or will the card get too hot?
    PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

it will get way too hot AFAIK coz it's clocked at 166core/200mem. besides even my G550 clocked at 133/166 that was done under 0.18 (and i think the actual dies are around the same size) got really hot too and i had to replace the fan. Is the fan broken? Then maybe you can simpliy replace a new one.

Comment

If it's only running your server you can aswell underlock it into oblivion so i don't see any problem to run it without the fan.
      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Yup. Edit the PINS file (do a search here on MURC to find out how) and underclock the card to standard G400 levels or lower.

You might want to replace the heatsink with a better passive one that is designed for use without the fan.
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Well, I say you should just try it (if the server is non-critcal)

The cooling is only really needed in 3d mode. In 2d mode, much less heat is produced.

If it gets too hot, it will crash, but not kill your card
          80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Replace the HS with a better one, it's not capable of handling it without a fan.

I put a G400 OEM HS on mine (but still have the fan)

The G200 HS will also work a peach

also modified the G450 (sold to Dil(pickle) by replacing it's HS with a Pentium 1 HS so it would run no sweat regardless of the temps (he's got like a dozen servers in one room at home That HS measures ~50mm x 46mm x 25mm black anodized pin type and picked up at a local PC store for 50 cents
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

yea i guess u can underclock since it's only for server apps. i say certainly check temp after replacing a HS (or touch the back of the PCB to see if temp is acceptable.

Comment

I have used the Zalman ZM-NB32J heatsink for over six months now with no problems. Rally Trophy, FS2002 and Max Payne all run without any problems. I have even overclocked the card 11% (with MTSTU) to play Morrowind. Didn't speed up the game though .

Comment

Get this. When I got my MAX to replace my GF3 that was in RMA, i put a blue orb on it.

Few days ago, the blue orb fan died, so I put the stock HS back on it. I found out there was NO contact with the core except three tiny little dots on the sides. It survived a couple months of intense UT gaming and all sorts of gaming torture without any passive or active cooling. It did crash on me occasionally during games but that seems nothing but normal, taking all this into consideration.

And I was wondering why it wouldn't OC any higher than 170/226

As of now, it is still running fine, this time with a hs + fan on there
                  When I was still a kid, my parents got me a Packard Bell. I've never been happier. Now it's degraded to a foot support.

Comment

I have a similar problem, the fan on my G400MAX is starting to make alot of noise and I've been trying to decide what to do about it. My questions are these, and I'd like clear and precise answers.

1. Is it a good idea to use the card without the original FAN and just the HS. I use my computer for desktop work and TV-out. No gaming what so ever.

2. If I were to use it without a fan and it breaks, would the damage be permanent or just a system freeze.

3. Would it be possible to use a PCI-mounted case-fan that blows right onto the G400 HS, without replacing the original heatsink.

4. The connector on the original FAN got 3 wires, wereas the similar replacement fans I've found only got two, is it possibly to use the 2-pin fans or do I need to find some special matrox fan?

5. What other solutions are there if I don't want to mess with the HS. I gather from previous posters that the default fan on the Pentium 2 as well as the one on some Socket 7 HS will suffice.

Comment

Hmmz, could it be that Matrox G400MAX fan's only last 3 to 4 years?

I went for option 5:
                      I found an old fan in my rubbish old hardware drawer that came with an boxed Pentium 75. Screwed that one on the standard g400max heatsink. Works pefect
                      PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

Comment

Working...
                      X