Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oddity: Scandisk actually recovered data on its own!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oddity: Scandisk actually recovered data on its own!

I had been having trouble with my machine where it would hang dead for no apparent reason. Sometimes it would happen of I tapped it or stepped heavilly near it or sometimes by doing nothing. I finally realized it was due to the processor knocking itself loose. I reseated it and for good measure secured it with electrical tape to the moutning brackets. It is a slotA processor. I rebooted it and it was giving errors thinking one of the hard drives was going bad. Did a surface scan. It found one bad sector due to the sudden hangs and subsequent reboots. Irritating but no real problem.

Later I tried to access my 4GB drive. Something was amiss. My files and folders on that drive were missing except for my swap file and it was not anywhere near the correct size. I ran scandisk and it recoverd all my stored disk images, game saves, animé DVD and model links, and even my swap file. Scandisk actually worked. Well except for using the short versions of filenames but I can fix that!

Cool.

I had a 8gb WD drive that would make a nasty knocking noise. Seemed like the head was bouncing back and forth. Anyways, I did a low-level format and the drive is still running strong. That was almost a year ago.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
    X