Cooling a Duron 800 - How many CFM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling a Duron 800 - How many CFM?

I'm currently running my Duron 800 with a "In-A-Box" heatsink and fan that came with an Athlon 900 (I think). But I want to replace the fan with a pabst fan. Anybody have an idea how low I can go airflow wise (a.k.a. noise wise)?

A 12 dBA pabst fan puts out about 20 CFM
    A 19 dBA pabst fan puts out about 26 CFM

Should I go with the 19 DB to play it safe, or is there a risk that that one won't even do it? I mean... cooling an 800 MHz Duron can't be all that demanding can it?
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Start by reducing the voltage on the fan you have, it might be a cheap alternative to buying a new fan.
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

or buy a much larger quality (dual BB) fan (~92mm), duct it to the HS and run it at 7vdc
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yup. I have a big slow 92mm fan here - v quiet when paired with a bit of ducting to bring in outside cool air and a zalman flower.

I fact I was testing out a duron 900 the other week for a friend and could almost get away with no fan for that (using the flower) - throttling right back on the voltage and the thing was staying pretty cool.

But go with whatever Greebe says - he knows his stuff
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Heh GNEP, that's exactly how/what I'm using on this system (G400Max/Athlon 500@850

Oh one more note... don't get the slowest low CFM 92mm fan todo this (Like the Vantec Stealth stuff)

Something like a Sunon KD1209PTB2 would suffice (it's rated at 48.5cfm@33dBA) which is quiet enough as it is without speed/voltage reduction.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

I'm running a cheap 80mm at 7V on my Duron
            "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Gonna try the 7 volt thing first. But just in case... what do you guys mean by "ducting"?
              If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

the same as what is used in homes to distribute airflow (heating/cooling) to all rooms

Comment

Ducting: you can even use a folded up cereal packet

Basically, something that directs ("pipes") airflow into the fan (IMHO better to pipe air coming into a fan and have the fan blowing onto the HS from the end of the duct). Essentially it should be something that does not block air flow in the slightest but makes sure that the coldest air gets to where it is needed the most. I am sure that you can use your imagination for the rest.

Some new holes in the case might be needed. But try to make sure that the air "pipe" is wider where the air is moving slower (the intake end) and narrows down to the diameter of the fan where it connects to the fan.

If we are still not making any sense, look "ducting" up in a dictionary . Basically something that guides a (generally gaseous) fluid to where you want it to go. A bit like a pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                    If we are still not making any sense, look "ducting" up in a dictionary .
                    No no.. I got it now

Comment

Good - I thought I was making no sense there whilst writing

Comment

For my Duron 800 (clocked at 1000+) I found a very effective mod was to use a length of speaker bass porting directly over the HS. Piccies and info in this thread
                        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Working...
                        X