How clever is S.M.A.R.T?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How clever is S.M.A.R.T?

Popped home at lunch and my windows HD monitoring tool was displaying a message that was a little scary. It can be summed up as -

'Your SMART hard drive is three days away from the first point at which it feels it could fail. We recommend you start backing up your data now.'

Normally this wouldn't phase me but the drive is an IBM 60GXP and every day I expect it to burst into flames judging from the horror stories that the 'net threw up last year.

Basically I'm wondering if I can use this as a bona fide excuse to buy myself an 80Gb barracuda IV, and remove yet anothyer noisy component from my machine, or whether realistically SMART monitoring is just being incredibly cautious and I'll prolly get another two years of noisy IBM goodness out of the beast?

Uberlad
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

I would say start backing up your data and test your drive with IBM's DFT
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

back up your data as soon as you can. it will fail, not neccesseraly in 3 days, but in 3 hours or 3 weeks.

do you have linux btw? you can see the SMART values directly there.
      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

I have seen many drives get a SMART message and it usually means that the drive is close to dying, unfortunetely there's no telling when it's going to die. It's like thop said, it could be in 3 hours, days or weeks.

Backup you data ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Pretty much everything was backed up for a reinstall anyway.

Looking at the message again it kinda suggests that the message is more a 'your drive is 18 months old' kinda message as opposed to the 'the end is nigh' kinda thing.

We'll see - everything is ok atm.

Uberlad

Comment

Yeah, keep us posted onwhat happens to it.

Comment

At work we have a seagate that has said that it's about to fail for 3 years now....

The Q(L)uantum drive in my NLE machine started to make really funny noises and SMART told me it would fail soon....

it took it a week to fail soon
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

What is the performance hit like when SMART is enabled?
                P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I think it's like having a virus scanner enabled, probably not AS bad but close.

Comment

I've not really noticed the hit - but then again my IDE drivers have been caught in limbo betwewn installed and uninstalled for the last few months and that has really screwed up performance.

This, amongst many other 'Windows being installed for a while' issues are the reason for the reinstall.

I'm always amazed at the sheer volume of crap that accumulates and that windows will just not shift - or that I just don't notice for six months

Just about to try the IBM drive health thingy - once I finish copying vital data (this seasons buffy and angel episodes, and the first five episodes of 24 series two) onto the backup drive.

Wish me luck 8-)

Uberlad

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

I've seen the thread on Ars where one guy had RAID1 array.

One drive pwned and SMART did not notice it so it corrupted data on his other drive. SMART is reliable, but to an extent.

I just entered my WDCAC2400 in www.storagerview.com 's database and the statistics for 60GXP are not promising. Get the 'cuda or WD special edition.

Comment

I waaaaant the barracuda (so very badly) but I'm buying a house tomorrow (eep) and sensible people keep suggesting that I won't have the money. Despite the fact that it's about a pound a Gig nowadays.

I'll see - maybe the decorating will be cheaper than I expect, or someone will just give me a washing machine - that'd free up the money for sure 8-)

Uberlad

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
                            What is the performance hit like when SMART is enabled?
                            There's no performance hit, at least I never noticed any performance decrease. I always have SMART enabled.
                            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

The performance hit is more like NADA. There are only about 15 values that smart reads. And the ones that'd do a performance hit (and have to do with the head and mechanics) only get checked when the drive is idle (and actually only CAN be checked when the drive is idle). Those tests get interrupted immediately when data is read or written.
                              no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Working...
                              X