Which Brand --- Hard Drive ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Brand --- Hard Drive ??

I am about to get a new hard drive and am set on 80 gig.

I have three choices Maxtor Seagate Samsung. The only drive with ATA 133 is the Maxtor.

Take a pick !!!

Debbie
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Maxtor IMHO
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Ditto. I love the Maxtor D540X (4800 rpm) for capacity and the D740X (7,200 rpm) for speed, but neither is exactly a turtle.

Dr. Mordrid
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

RELIABLE:

Samsung 80GB 5400rpm (+ cheap + 3 years warranty)

FAST:

Seagate Barracuda 80GB IV/V
        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Watch your warrenty! They've quietly dropped down to 1 yr on many drives.

I've had a rash of RMAs (2 WD, 2 Maxtor, 2 IBM) of drives >30GB that were older than 1 yr but less than 2!

IMHO Maxor, WD or Seagate are all fine, buy on price and warrenty! But Maxtor seems to be selling a bunch of rebadged IBM drives.

--wally.

Comment

Samsung still has 3 yrs.
            no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Samsung for the warranty, Seagate for excellent reliablity and quietness...
              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I was pleasantly surprized with service from Maxtor on a defective drive- had the new drive at my door the next day. (unlike a video card manufacturer with the same letters in a differnt order- wink wink)
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by wkulecz
                  IMHO Maxor, WD or Seagate are all fine, buy on price and warrenty! But Maxtor seems to be selling a bunch of rebadged IBM drives.

--wally.
                  Nope. Maxtor is selling rebadged Quantum drives because they bought Quantums HDD unit last year.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thank you All,

I went for Maxtor and "so far so good" I will have all the software in by this evening then I shall know more.

Thanks again,

Debbie

Comment

Oh my gawd I'm too late...

Did you read this thread Debbie?

Maxtor hard drives

Everyone has their own opinions, but Maxtor is pretty low on my list of favorites.

Comment

Thanks Pat, hope the one I now have "behaves well"
                        What's done cannot be undone !!!

Debbie

Comment

I have well over 30 Maxtors here and all are running like champs, even the old 8.4 gig drives I got several years ago.

Can't say that about the IBM, Fujitsu, Seagate and WD drives I've hadd. None of them have survived half that long

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

There's always an exception

I have well over 30 Maxtors here and all are running like champs
                            Kinda reminds me of hearing stories about 90 year old smokers who've never been sick a day in their lives!

Comment

All IMHO but...

Reading through this and the linked thread, I think it's safer not to use HDs but go back to paper and pencil instead

I have had many IBMs, before the 120GXP series. All worked like a charm. Many I sold to friends that did not fare well. I used Fujitsu for years in one PC and a laptop. No problems at all, yet many complain about them. WD gets the worst critisism here, I have 6 running nearly 24/24 without as much as a hickup. Recently I got a Maxtor 120Gb because it was the only one in stock. No problems. My next purchase will be 4 Samsung 120GBs, and I am certain they will fare well too.

The reason? Of all the PCs I got in for repairs and which had bad HDs, the reason of the HD failure was obvious: either overheat through no or poor cooling, or poor handling (I can build a wall with HDs failing because these guys drag their PCs to lan-parties & throw their PCs around, or they have loud speakers on their desk which cause the entire desk to powerfully vibrate in low frequencies, or beginners who build their own PC and think it's OK to slam their HDs on the desk when they unpack them.)

Almost all HD failures are _user_ errors.

- actively cool your HDs, even those 5400rpm models. The maximum operating temperatures of HDs is only a few degrees above most (uncooled/cooled via ATX PSU fan only) PC cases insides out there, especially with those hot P4s and Athlons.

- don't rattle your desk or PC when your HD is running or not, keep loudspeakers and other vibrating things away from your PC. And check if your CPU cooler isn't turning your case into a woofer.

- remember, HDs are static sensitive too, not just mainboards and memory.

- handle with care. Putting the HD on its long edge and toppling it to fall on its flat surface will cause over a 100Gs of acceleration when it hits the desk! It's easy to damage a HD through rough handling.

J-kun
                              Last edited by Jkun; 29 November 2002, 12:37.

Comment

Working...
                              X