Asus P3B-F 133Mhz compatible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P3B-F 133Mhz compatible?

Just wondering if anyone knows this or not.. there has been some talk, but I have not been following it.

In addition, what 733mhz Intel PIII 133mhz CPU should I get. THere are many different models and I have no idea the difference.
    I thought these CPUS had 512 L2 cache.. hhmmm..

When set up with PC-133 memory and appropriate bus & multipler settings the P3B-F (and most other better BX boards) will apply a 1/4 multiplier to the PCI bus. The AGP bus, however, will end up overclocked.

Most devices handle this just fine, but I wouldn't use it with an RT-2000 or other such hardware.

From what I've gleened from recent articles the new i815 chipset seems to be a viable option. It's PC-133 compatable and does not overclock the AGP bus. It also allows AGP-4x.

While not as high a performing chipset as the BX with either PC-100 or PC-133 memory the i815 still out-performs dual channel RAMBUS setups.

As for the specs of the PIII/733, you have it slightly wrong. It has a 256k cache. This cache is on the die and runs at full speed with a 133mhz bus. This setup actually gives better performance than the earlier 512k caches running at half speed.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

so let me get this right for once

Asus P3B-F 440BX DOES work with 133mhz CPU and RAM?

Will the Marvel G400 work alright with the P3B-F and a 133mhz fsb?
      Thank you..
      -Brett

[This message has been edited by intomisery (edited 10 August 2000).]

Comment

intomisery

As Doc said

The P3BF is using a chipset that was designed for a 100M fs bus speed. You are able to manually override the settings in the bios and select 133M with a 5.5 multiplier. The success depends on your own luck - I would certainly not try this as I consider it to be surefire way to cause random crashes etc.

Apart fram that, the P3BF is a very stable board from personal experience and writeups elsewhere, but is a SLOT1 board - you are going to have to get yourself a slotconvertor to TRY and run the 733 Flipchip processor on this board. ALso remember that it only has ATA33 IDE controllers

I am currently using an Intel D815EEAAL board and my Marvel ran AGP4x from the start with no tweaks. ATA100 is standard issue on this board as well - better? for video. I had to replace my P3B and P2B boards because of crashes caused by Photoshop - see Adobe Document 324609 on their site for a description of the hassle

Simple as this then - If you have one, try it.
        If you dont have it, dont buy it, but rather get a product that is using current technology at the same price.

------------------
        Lawrence

[This message has been edited by LvR (edited 10 August 2000).]
        Lawrence

Comment

I've had excellent stability from my P3B-F's (all 3 of 'em).

For completeness sake I should also mention that I'm using Gigabyte GA-6R7Pro/6R7+ jumperless slotkeys. $15 USD AND they work great.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

what is your opinion on this Intel motherboard, doc? I rely strongly upon it, just so you know. (no pressure though!)
            this uses the 815e chipset which I have read in previous posts is inferior to the BX. what should I do?
            I will be using an IBM ATA100 HD since I can't get my hands on the Maxtor ATA100 yet or ever..

btw, what does previously mentioned device do?
            thanks a bunch!

[This message has been edited by intomisery (edited 10 August 2000).]

Comment

Doc-
              Please pardon a possibly stupid question, but
              What is a "jumperless slotkey"? and what is its purpose?

Thanks

Comment

1. I refuse to buy any Intel produced mainboards. I've owned 3 and all of 'em were total DAWGS.

2. A jumperless slotkey automatically sets itself up for the chip you plug into it.

Those with jumpers are all kinds of fun as you usually have to set them up while trying to read bad Chinese translations.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Dr Mordrid

I actually wanted an ASUS 815 based mb, but here in South Africa things seem to moving extremely slowly sometimes.

Used to building reliable systems based on ASUS motherboards till now, but so far can not fault the Intel, and at least I am able to run Photoshop and Corel 9 without any crashes under W2K

------------------
                  Lawrence
                  Lawrence

Comment

Working...
                  X