Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face off!

Full story at :
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

A leading plastic surgeon is calling for a debate about whether face transplants should take place.
    Peter Butler said surgical techniques would allow the procedure to take place within the next six to nine months.

But he said it was essential for a moral and ethical debate to take place before anyone underwent the operation.

The microsurgical procedure, a technique already used by doctors, could involve a patient being given new lips, chin, ears, nose, skin and bone from a recently deceased person. Blood vessels, arteries and veins would have to be taken from the donor's face. In order for the face transplant to work, nerves that control feeling and movement would have to be attached to be successful.

At the same time, the recipient would have to have their face, facial muscles, skin and subcutaneous fat removed.
    In addition, advances in suppressing the immune system's response to foreign tissue would give the procedure a better chance of success.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

I read awhile ago in scientific ameriecan(i think) about a chimpansee that had a head-transplant from a newly dead chimp, it surived almost 2 days with its new head!

the article also said that it should be possible to perform head-transplants on humans, this year.
    This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

No thanks, I wanna keep my face and my head!
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Now imagine cloning yourself without a brain and a brain transplant....(very useful at old age)....
        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

heh... a 20 year old with Alsheimers... now that would be interesting

Spend three days tearing your homestead apart looking for your dentures. Then being told, you don't need them anymore, only to forget a few moments later and the cycle repeats
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

ok, when is it going TOO far?
            "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

"Fear no Evil" Robert Heinlin (sp?)
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

"I Will Fear No Evil", Robert Heinlein 1970. Excellent read. Seems to me to be down the timeline a bit from "Stranger In A Strange Land".

If you want to feel like you're on an acid trip while still sober try reading Heinleins later novel "The Number of the Beast" (501 pages). The Number of the Beast starts on Earth, takes excursions through several universes including Oz (yeah, that Oz) and ends up in Asgard (yeah, that Asgard)

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 November 2002, 11:58.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Obituaries will have to include pictures from now on. You can do your face shopping with your local newspaper.LOL
                  #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
                  people do all day!"

Comment

ok, when is it going TOO far?
                    When Chickens can type......DOH!!!!

Paul
                    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Originally posted by ALBPM

When Chickens can type......DOH!!!!

Paul
                      Haha, sorry dude, that's just too funny.
                      Titanium is the new bling!
                      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Type?? WTF?

I can't type, I hunt and PECK! thank you....
                        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

We've been BBQ'd by the Chicken

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
                          X