Driver needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver needed

I just picked up a used computer. Nothing too special, just an old PII to have up in my office. The HD was blank when I got it so I wasnt able to check what drivers were installed. The problem I have is the Vid card isn't being recognized by Win-95. I says its a generic VGA and I only get a 16 colour display.

The card itself is a Matrox product but I don't have a clue which one or where to get the drivers for it.

How do I tell which one I have and get the RIGHT driver for the card??

Thanks for any help

David.

It might be more than just driver issues. What version of W95? You might have an AGP card in there, in which case you need at least W95B with the USB package, or W95C, before AGP works correctly.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The Win 95 disc I have says it has USB support on the label so I expect it is 95B.

I had the comp case apart the other day and the card is clearly marked as a Matrox product.

Win 95 installed the drivers for a standard PCI graphica adapter (VGA)

Comment

If you are experienced enough to take the card out and have a look at it then try this: http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/faq/details.cfm?id=31

Comment

Find the product # on the card.
          It'll be on a white sticker, and start with something like mil, mil2, g2+, G4+, etc....
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Hrrrmmmmm.....Thanks for the link but I didn't see anything familiar

It has three stickers. I don't remember which one was white

1: 672-03Rev: A
            2: AC6 9144
            3: MS0006062 A

Comment

Strangé. Maybe it really is a "Generic Technologies model VGA" card

I don't know your technical level so pardon me if I sound a bit silly here, but you are sure that you connect the display cable into the arse of this card? So it can't be, say, a network card or a 3D expansion card or some kind of Maxtor (not Matrox) IDE card...

Did you find out whether it was a PCI or an AGP card (PCI slot is most often white, AGP is often brown)? Does it only have one connector behind it or more? And if it has more than one, are they the same size?

Wait, I've got an idea: If you're sure that it is indeed a display card and indeed manufactured by Matrox, check if it has a heatsink. If it has, it probably is a G200 or later card, in which case you can try using the Millennium G550, G450, G400, G200 series unified drivers. If it does not have a heatsink, you could try telling us what the numbers on the graphics chip say. Here are some samples of possible texts: http://www.plasma-online.de/index.ht...re/matrox.html

Edit: The only exception to the above is if it is a Matrox m3D card, which is actually not based on Matrox technology but on a PowerVR PCX2 chip...
              Last edited by Tempest; 26 November 2002, 11:36.

Comment

It's a Millennium II (thx Haig
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hey....now I think we're getting closer. You're not being silly, my tech level is somewhere just this side of the age of the d inosaurs........but yes, the only spot the monitor plugs into is the back of this card.

The card has one of the chips listed on that link. The one MGA 2164WAB.

It also had a TI chip # TVP3026-250BPCE.

Does that help narrow things down??

Comment

FYI, Haig (mentioned in my above post) is the Tech Support manager for Matrox.

Is there a problem with me answering your Q via proxy?

P.S. see sig below
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Naw, I'm sure he got it Greebe... Probably finished typing his message just after you posted.

Okay dpwood, so Greebe here apparently contacted the manager for Matrox Tech Support and found out that your card is indeed a Matrox Millennium II card. Not a very new one, and you won't play any 3D games on it... But it is still good enough for office work.

Latest Win9x drivers are here:

Just run the exe file to extract them to a directory and then run setup from there. If the driver setup programme asks you to locate some files in the process, just point it into that directory.
                      Last edited by Tempest; 26 November 2002, 12:04.

Comment

Sweetness. I don't expect miracles from this old computer but definitly more than 16 colours!!

You were right about my typing. Damn peek and poke method is really slow.

Thanks for your help guys

Comment

Working...
                        X