The end of competition on CPUs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end of competition on CPUs ?

slughead writes "Forbes Magazine is reporting that AMD will no longer compete with Intel to make faster, smaller, and more efficient processors. Just as Mac users would be worse off if Windows didn't exist, Intel users will be much worse now that AMD will no longer compete. You see, there's this t...

This sounds bad.
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

I hope not, competition is one of the best ways for technology to advance.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I think it just means AMD isn't going to try and match Intel Hz for Hz on a suicide production track anymore. They will probably just start releasing tech and products when they feel it's ready. At least that's what I would think. I guess we shall see.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I think the Slashdot piece is fvcked up. I think what they're really trying to say is that they will develop a wider range of products, and that in those markets MHz is not always the key (you know - work smarter, not harder).

Comment

Ya hit that nail squarely on the head Tempest
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

hmm... jsut by saying that will kill the x86-64 family.... if they make no more x86-64 chips in the future then i wonder who will ever support the technology...

personally i am really looaking to athlon 64. put in ddrII, pci express, SATA raid, and all the good stuff...

Comment

Working...
            X