The Younger generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Younger generation

This is something that I observed a lot over the years. When I was young we didn't have Computer games, Video games etc, TV wasn't much apart from Magic roundabout, so you had to use your imagition to pass the time and make games up and even horror read a book.
    Nowadays if the computers/ games console is broken they'll just sit there and go I'm bored and don't seem capable of finding something to do. It seems they have lost the usage of their imagination and creative thought.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

In a desperate attempt to get fit. I want an exercise bike that's connected to a power relay for my computer. If i play games, then its pedal ahoy!
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I just think that some people never bothered adapting to generational changes (not you, I mean the parents of lazy kids). I've totally noticed the same thing, but it's not all kids. My nephews are spoiled 10 and 15 year old brats who'd rather play with their game boys or sit on their ass stuffing their faces with junk food in front of a tv over doing anything else any day, but they know better than to ask to use one of my comps or tv when I watch them. I can't buy into the argment that it's complacency due to advancements in tech. I'm blaming laziness in mentoring for most problems these days. What's so different now that makes it harder to hand a kid a soccer ball, tennis raquet, or book then it was 20 years ago?
      Yes I drive a 13yr old Volkswagen; Yes I'm a dirt poor college student; Yes every tank of gas is more $$ than the value of my car, but it is FUN to drive, so I don't care about your ego or how much your car cost, if you insist on going the exact same speed in the passing lane as the car next to you for 10 minutes, stop being a self righteous ass, move the hell over and just let me by!!!

Comment

I would get thin in a matter of days if I had a setup like that!!!

Comment

I've got a friend whos completly lost if theres no one he knows in the pub or theres no football. He finds Holidays boring because he's got no other hobbies or interests.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I grew up with computers and video games yet I spent all my time outside playing either in the snow or rollerblading.

We (my buddies and I) used to do anywhere from 20 to 100KM of rollerblading/bicylcing each night.

That's just some of the activites we used to do. We used to go camping, fishing (we had to bike far to get there) we played with model planes, model rockets, R/C cars, we used to make snow forts, we used to go to skateparks and do tricks. We did tons of stuff.

When we got bored of technology, we went outside. Actually when we got bored of "outside" or whenever the cops harassed us too much, that's when we resorted to video games and computers. We never spent much time on the computer.

All in all, we spent about 5% of our time on video games or computers, unless it was raining or there was a snow storm.

I guess I had the right friends, I was never bored and I was in GREAT physical shape!
            Last edited by ZokesPro; 25 November 2002, 11:42.
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by vwdrivrco
              I can't buy into the argment that it's complacency due to advancements in tech. I'm blaming laziness in mentoring for most problems these days. What's so different now that makes it harder to hand a kid a soccer ball, tennis raquet, or book then it was 20 years ago?
              I think it boils down to changes in socitity today. Parents with the invention of TV/console games/computers now have a built in "babysitter" that they can use to keep their kids busy so they can do what they want or keep their kids out of their hair. Its not totally their fault, due to changes with women coming out of the household and working full time, due most often to ecomomic changes (though could this could be debateable...do you really need the Caddy SUV when the Chevy one is 15K cheaper...along those lines) and them not just wanting to be merry little homemaker etc....which I have no problems with.
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

You also always have to add in a little rose-tinted-spectacles-on-the-past effect.
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I think I would agree. Kids are lazy from what I have seen. You can't get them to do ANYTHING physical.

Then again, maybe I am just getting old..
                  "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Heh... think this lazy, lack of voluntary fact finding, need instant answers, uncouth ghettoesque behaviour suits them fine.

Just think about how besides themselves they'll be by the time they have children. Talk about poetic justice
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I don't know if it is.....

I have seen "second gen" problem kids and its ugly.....

"Mom" and "Dad" don't give a flying **** and the "children" (pests) anoys anything within a 40 feet radius (well, anything that havent been anoyed by "mom" and "dad" ).....
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Part of the reason it is so hard to motivate people to colonize space now....

Wasn't so hard in Von Braun's time....
                        Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

"I'm wicked and I'm lazy,
                          Ohh, don't you wanna save me ?"

Comment

Ultimatly I think that this is something that has to do with the way that the child is brought up. Personaly my mother let me play on the computer as much as I wanted (since I was six), but she instilled in both myself and my sister such a love of reading that we also do that to such a degree it really is astonishing. Also we were always sent out to do yard work or chores around the house as well as the "normal" playing and such, so all in all I have at least that area of my life balanced, if not the rest of it so yeah a parent's influence is a major deciding factor there, how much as a parent do you care about your child's well being to make them do whatever in balance with watching TV and playing video/computer games...

~Sethos
                            "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

....and one musn't forget that US citizens now work much longer hours and both parents work....
                              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X