Altec Lansing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altec Lansing

Where I live we recently had a computer show that I went to where they had this speeker system. It includes one subwoofer and five speekers, that were litteraly providing music for about one forth to one half of a huge ass (we're talking an ass you could serve 24 on, type of huge ass) convention center. Very nice I only got to play with them for like five min or so, but what I heard of some basic music they were really nice quality and powerful too, very nice I thought.

Has anyone else heard of them or know more about their quality?

~Sethos

Web site for the particluar system that I saw:

"...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Altec has nice systems. Klipsch is nicer, but also MUCH pricier.

I have an Altec ADA880 system (4.1) and it can get LOUD and sound NICE. This system you've seen seems to be the logical successor to mine... actually mine is 2 generations old, there was a THX-certified 5.1 system (ADA-885) which came after mine.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

AD-885 is the set I have - as Gurm said, NICE and LOUD and THX Certified. Note though - only 4.1, but Dolby Digital - emulates the front centre from the front two speakers.

Comment

THX Certified is a marketing gimmick. It doesn't mean squat - only assures that the product actually performs its quoted specs. Klipsch is great, but they are way overpriced for the performance you get out of them. If you went 5.1, the Cambridge 510Ds are a good choice and, though expensive, are much cheaper than the Klipsch and give you the same level of performance.
        System Specs:
        Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
        May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
        Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
        And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
        just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
        For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Bleh. Ever since Creative bought out Cambridge, their PC speaker sets have been bassy and muddy. Bleh.

That said...

There must have been a THIRD set of speakers, maybe ADA-890? There was a 5.1 set.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Heh, a lot of people would disagree with you there Gurm. I guess you could just ignore the many owners and reviews on the web about the 510Ds though.

I'd definately put the 510Ds over the ADA-890s though.....
            System Specs:
            Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Comment

Hey, maybe Cambridge is finally making nice systems again. All I know is that for years all their so-called "high-end" speaker systems were muddy and icky.

Times change. I mean, people rank the Logitech systems pretty highly. They make MICE, for Chrissake!

- Gurm

Comment

Ha! using a set of indoor/outdoor paradigm speakers for front, home made tuned port subwoofer with dual voice coil hafler sub, and radioshack minumus spkrs for rear, with pioneer car amp powered by old AT 250w computer powersupply.
                Kicks any other computer speaker systems ass!

But the altec stuff isn't bad for the price!
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I'm currently using a HK AVR55 reciever as a preamp going into a NAD 902 amp, powering KEF Q1's and a Adire Rava subwoofer....for my computer.....
                  Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I have the Altec Lansing 880's too, very nice speakers for what I paid for them (Around $85) AL's cheap speakers are cheap, but they do sound good for the money. Not Audiophile grade gear or anything, but with a bit of tuning of my hardware EQ on the Game Theater XP and I can pump out enough sound volume to fill the house while I work.

Altec Lansing I'd rate as good mid range speakers. And personally I can't stand how the Klipsch speakers sound, I hear to much high end ringing from them, but I'm weird like that.

Comment

I have one of the old Cambridge systems (from around 1998), the Microworks. It sounds decent, and I prefer it to the Klipsch speakers. I think it was after this system that they started going downhill in quality.

Comment

Well, they revived themselves with the 510Ds, that's for sure. But I'm a bit worried about the 550s coming out from them soon. I went ahead and pre-ordered these speakers cause I got such a good deal on them, but no one really knows how well they will sound. From a few previews on the web it seems they sound better than the 510Ds, and I hope that's the case. Heh, I guess I could always send them in for an exchange for something else, but I'd hate to do that....
                        System Specs:

Comment

I had the original ProMedias and loved them very much. I want to get the 5.1s but not available in England (though available in Jamaica, go figure) so I'll buy the el cheapo Inspire 6.1 6700 for under 100 quid. I do not trust any speaker with Cambridge on it to give me the bass I want without too much distortion, and do not like how the Logitech satellites look. I'll buy proper computer speakers when I go back home.
                          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

The new Logitech Z-680 5.1 speaker system seems to be getting good reviews.

Comment

Working...
                            X