Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linux boot issue (and more)

I'm running Mandrake 9.

I installed it on a 30GB HDD when it was a slave.

Now I took the other HDDs out, and I switched the 30GB drive to a master. The linux boot loader will come up, but when I try to boot it, it gives me a "No Init found. Try passing Init= option to kernel. blah blah blah...Interrupt IRQ 7"

If I switch it back to a masterless slave, it will boot. But I just want it to be a master...how do i fix this?

Also, I noticed my "logout screen" is changed, and no longer has a "shut down" option. Anyone know why?

While on that, what does it mean to "save this session for future logons"? Will it save what's in memory to disk so if I log back on it will reload everything into memory? Thanks.

Check your /etc/fstab and replace all occurrences of "hdb" with "hda".

Comment

Originally posted by runderwo
      Check your /etc/fstab and replace all occurrences of "hdb" with "hda".
      You might also need to edit the config file of your bootloader. Does Mandrake 9 use grub or lilo?
      -Slougi

Comment

I think LILO should be fine, as the physical location of the kernel on the disk has not changed. Could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Slougi

You might also need to edit the config file of your bootloader. Does Mandrake 9 use grub or lilo?
          Will do....
          will other thing be affected if I change this?

Comment

Gave it a shot, except my HDD was known as hdf before (since it was the slave drive on the third controller), so i changed the f's to e's...
            same error.

Comment

This time when the boot manager was loading, I noticed that it VERY quickly flashed "loading LILO 3.something"

Comment

You need to change your etc/lilo.conf. Find the line that say:

root=/dev/hdfx

where x ist the partition number you have root mounted to. Change it to whatever is appropiate now. Save and execute lilo.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Six Of One
                  You need to change your etc/lilo.conf. Find the line that say:

root=/dev/hdfx

where x ist the partition number you have root mounted to. Change it to whatever is appropiate now. Save and execute lilo.

Regards
                  Will give that a try tonight (at home).

So the previous changes I made...were they necessary as well?

Comment

Man, that was crazy. I finally got it all to work. Here's how to fix it (through a lot of trial and error)
                    -got a tomsrtbt linux boot disk. it's basically linux on a bootable floppy.
                    -mounted my hard disk
                    -changed /etc/lilo.conf to the correct disk, etc (ex: hdf->hda)
                    -changed /etc/fstab to point to the correct disks, etc (similar to above)
                    -"chroot /mnt/sbin/lilo" so that it runs THAT version of lilo instead of the one that loaded on the floppy
                    -THEN YOU WANT TO UNMOUNT YOUR MOUNTED HDD (i think). I say this because when I rebooted in Mandrake, it had a cow that my disk wasn't propery unmounted, or that it was forced off or something. So just like you'd do to your lover, unmount your disk when you're done using it. hehe.
                    -remove the floppy, reboot, and keep your fingers crossed.

Not too bad for a linux noob, eh?

NOTE: I got it to work when I moved my HDD so it was hda instead of hde. I would be running it as hde right now, but unfortunately, tomsrtbt doesn't know what my promise controller is, so it can't see past disk d, i suppose. So it's not 100% the way I want it, but it works.

I've tried editing linux.conf and fstab in mandrake after it was all running, but when I ran lilo to update my boot sector, it whined about there not being a /dev/hdf (which was what i told lilo.conf i wanted to boot off of).

So if anyone knows a way into tricking lilo into thinking that hda is hdf (just so it can write the new boot loader to it), I'd like to hear it.
                    Last edited by Kooldino; 25 November 2002, 22:31.

Comment

Working...
                    X