World according to America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World according to America

It's a joke but there's much reality to it.

So f***ing stupid and outdated as to be rediculous and juvinile.

FYI most Americans call those places their ancestral homes and are only a generation or two away from them.

Of course why many of us are here in the first place has nothing at all to do with those places of origin being a threat to our ancestors health, freedom or well being....nor does it prevent the sucessor generations in those places from trying awfully hard to come to this horrible place

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 November 2002, 20:49.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well what do you expect from someone from over there in that furren country of Yurop?

Joel
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I quizzed a few Americans on IRC:

How many countries do you think there are in Europe?

10-20, 20-30 was the answer.

Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Danmark, Finland, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia

Ireland, UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Monaco, Andorra, Spain, Portugal

Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Slovenia, Hungary, Romania, Bolgaria, (FY) Macedonia, Albania, Yougoslavia, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Germany, Poland

Italy, San Marino, Vatican, Malta, Cyprus, Greece, (European part of Turkey)

Moldavia, Ukraine, Belarus, Russia - european part, Armenia, Azerbaidjan, Georgia

49 total

When I started counting countries and I mentioned Monaco, someone said, wasn't the princ Ferdinand of Monaco shot and WW1 was started?

Now those are (arstechnica irc) college stuents, average and bellow average Joes are not far from that.

Doc: I know you don't think so and you know the rest of the world well and that your opinions, although different than mine are well argumented and thought out, but I'd say people like you are not majority in US.
        Last edited by UtwigMU; 23 November 2002, 21:13.

Comment

Yeah and I'm sure I could go on IRC quizing a few Europeans and get simular type responses about America. So what's your point???

Joel

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.

Comment

Oi,

people, relax.

It was a joke And a funny one at that

It does not give me to conception that there is nobody in America know geology and/or politics
            80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

I've seen better versions of that pic. It's a very bad rip off "The Wolrd According to [Ronald] Reagan" (he was the predient of the USA during the 1980's for you Yuropeans).

I will admit that there are many schools that do not teach history...or anything else for that matter...that well, but European history isn't an important subject in US schools, outside of who started the colonies here, and who the founding fathers fought to break away. The fact that the Austrian Archduke Ferdinand was assasinated in Bosnia, thus giving the Austrians and the Germans an excuse to start a war is not important to most here.

Jammrock
              Last edited by Jammrock; 23 November 2002, 21:29.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

but I'd say people like you are not majority in US.
                and you gathered that from your extremely l33t polling skilz?

Try this, you polled a bunch of unsuspecting youngins who don't know jack shit about geography (or history in general) to determine that rather insipid anti american sentiment?

How would you feel if we did the same to those from Yurop and made the same sort of comments?.. exactly
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I quizzed a few Americans on IRC:
                  about forgot... I heard about this activity and was asked to join in... wish I had now cause I would have eatin you for lunch

BTW that's an extremely deceptive and vulgar mentality ya got there.
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hey rugger,

We know it is a joke. As UtwigMU said,
                    It's a joke
                    It 's the other part that was unneccessary and showed a lack of intelligence,
                    but there's much reality to it.
                    Joel

www.lp.org

Comment

Canada is backwards? Whatever.
                      Titanium is the new bling!
                      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

hey i can quote my favourite forum philosopher again!

What other purpose has this Poll than to provoke Anti-American or Anti-European reactions.
                        But anyway i've also heard horror stories about friends of mine being asked (by younger people mostly, but not only) in the US if we have refrigerators in Germany or if we can see the moon from here (no kiddin). But i guess stupid kids live everywhere on the world.

If you ask an european for the US states you will get a similar result. I can't tell North Dakota from Wisconsin or Arizona. I believe North Dakota is somewhere in the north though
                        The really interesting question would be how many Americans know where each of this states exactly is.

If you want to read an actually funny article about the same topic check this out: http://www.satirewire.com/news/0010/international.shtml
                        Last edited by thop; 23 November 2002, 22:37.
                        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

All my IRC conversations go like this:

A: asl?
                          me: XX/m/Si, you?
                          A: XX/f/Pa

(I know most of acronyms and I rougly know where states are, I once asked this girl, didn't Tom Sawyer take place in Missouri, where she was from, and the answer was really?)

A: Si?

Me: Slovenia, Europe.
                          Me: South of ..., ~15 E, 45N, capital, hockey team, 3NBA players, soccer team, ...

Most americans asume that most people know state acronyms and where the states are, while as soon as you come up with acronym it's ?

Sorry if the joke was too much, but I really got irritated today explaining this for the 3d time and I got the idea that some people think that inarweb really is "America online".
                          Last edited by UtwigMU; 23 November 2002, 23:06.

Comment

I usually answer asl? with "Old enough/yes please/anywhere"
                            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I usually answer asl? with 'No I have cable'.

Joel

www.lp.org

Comment

Working...
                              X