Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best MPEG2 software encoder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best MPEG2 software encoder?

I am searching for some MPEG-2 software encoder. I have tried LSX 3.0 MPEG encoder ,but I was dissapointed with its quality. Is anything better on market suitable for Matrox Marvel G400-TV?

[This message has been edited by K3 (edited 13 July 2000).]

I heard bbMPEG does MPEG-2. It's freeware and available from <http://members.home.net/beyeler/bbmpeg.html>
    Please let us know how it compares...

Frank.
    Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

Umm, looks like this environment doesn't like URLs. Let's see if this works:
      http://members.home.net/beyeler/bbmpeg.html
      Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

Aah, that's better!

Comment

Nice monologue, Frank Marshall
          You can also edit your post...

...like this.

[This message has been edited by Fred H (edited 05 July 2000).]
          It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
          ------------------------------------------------

Comment

bbMPEG encodes MPEG-2 quite well. It handles interlaced MPEG-2, and variable bit rate MPEG-2 (though without a bitrate cap function built-in...). It's not the fastest encoder out there, but the image quality is the best I have dealt with.

Comment

Trying to achieve "Super MURCer," are we?

Comment

I expect it was just un-ergonomic flipper problems!

------------------

Comment

Sorry about that, I was not getting responses from the server when I attempted to post. Anyways, I deleted the extra messages.
                  BTW: I'm testing another freeware MPEG-1/2 encoder, tmpeg... so far.. VERY nice results

Comment

Could you post the link for tmpeg ...

Comment

I am trying some MPEG2 encoders, if I finish it I let you know about results.

I found some mpeg-2 encoders benchmark in the address: http://www.tecoltd.com/enctest/enctest.htm

Comment

Here you go polycue:
                        http://www.jamsoft.com/tmpgenc/

Comment

Sorry about not replying sooner. Incidently, I have finished evaluating TMpeg.. It has a TON of features to like: SMP support, automatic I-frame insertion, good quality DCT that produces less artifacting than most, multiple variable bit rate options, excellent motion vector searches, great speed for the quality, a VERY fast multiplexor/demultiplexor, a MPEG joiner/cutter util that doesn't recompress frames and works with VBR and MPEG-2!
                          That all said, the current English patched version doesn't allow easy frame servering from VirtualDub (you have to use the striped AVI/VCM trick to make it work), and while the multiplexor is fast, it doesn't have the fine control of bbMPEG's, most importantly it is VERY unstable. It crashes for no apparent reason at random points on my machine. This makes the encoder portion pretty much useless for me, even though I did write tools to edit MPEGs down to specific time codes for restarting encoding jobs. On the other hand, bbMPEG is developing nicely right now. 1.24 should have the variable bitrate cap, the better DCT code from tMPEG, faster and better quality motion vector code. Right now I'm testing out alpha code from another developer who hacked in the VBR cap, and I'm getting VERY nice results with bbMPEG without the crashing. (and it eliminates my old trick to encode once in VBR, once in CBR and use a util I wrote to manually cap the resulting MPEGs with each other)
                          Anyways, happy encoding all!

[This message has been edited by Walrus (edited 12 July 2000).]

Comment

Just as a quick note: the jamsoft.com site has a new english translation for the latest beta. As soon as I retransfer some material to my system to test it with, I'll redo my tests using the new beta. If it's stable, we may have a winner.

Comment

K3,
                              the http://www.tecoltd.com/enctest/enctest.htm
                              doesn't work, but try this:

ftp://ftp.tecoltd.com/pub/bitratev/
                              ftp://ftp.teco.hu/pub/bitratev/

1,94 Mb.

Regards, Fred H

[This message has been edited by Fred H (edited 13 July 2000).]
                              It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
                              ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X