MX records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MX records

I am trying to build, amongst other things, a mail server.

I am using PostFix on Mandrake 9.0

The host of my domain are a right PITA and ty and bill you for everything, hence i want to get away from them.

I have thought about using ZoneEdit, but that was going to cost at least £25 just for the privalige of transfering the domain

Any how, they can change the MX record for £10, but I am concerned that there is no failsafe. If my server is down, then all my mail will bounce to the sender. The must be some way I can use my domain host as a secondary server... They say no...

The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Re: MX records

Originally posted by Paddy [MU]
    I am trying to build, amongst other things, a mail server.

I am using PostFix on Mandrake 9.0

The host of my domain are a right PITA and ty and bill you for everything, hence i want to get away from them.

I have thought about using ZoneEdit, but that was going to cost at least £25 just for the privalige of transfering the domain

Any how, they can change the MX record for £10, but I am concerned that there is no failsafe. If my server is down, then all my mail will bounce to the sender. The must be some way I can use my domain host as a secondary server... They say no...

Sorry for not being helpful over the last 2 days.

You can use zoneedit as a backup MX server, even though you are not hosting your DNS there
    80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Re: MX records

Originally posted by Paddy [MU]
      I am using PostFix ...
      Good choice.

If my server is down, all my mail will bounce to the sender. The must be some way I can use my domain host as a secondary server... They say no...
      They say no because it costs them to hold your mail while your server is down.
      A few hosts eat the cost and provide a temporary MX backup as a courtesy.
      Most offer it as an add-on service.

For example, googling for MX backup brought:
      https://www.twfinternet.com/orders/mx/ (£60/yr)
      http://www.microtech.co.gg/dns/email_server.php (£20/yr)

Things you might try:
      - Find out who your host's main competitors are and what they charge for MX backup, if anything. See if your ISP can match their price.
      - Tell host how much email traffic you'd expect if the server went down, negotiate a price based on that.
      - Check http://www.google.com/search?q=+site...backup+mx+free

Good luck.

Comment

Find friends with their own boxes. I've had people tell me that it's pretty easy to set up a group of servers as a redundant pool, so that if your box goes down, they'll hold the mail for you until you ask for it (usually part of your boot process).
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys.

This is just a 'project' that hopefully will serve some use to my family. Hence, i didn't really want to pay anything.

Some of you lovely MURCers have offered help with their boxes, to which i am very grateful. I have written my ISP a little letter as suggested by orangejulius. Lets see what they say!

On a side note... I have seen how much a PITA these companies can be. If I can help anyone out with a similar service, i'd be happy to oblige.
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Is having an off-shore mail server similar to an off-shore bank account ???

Comment

Working...
            X