Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to create old scratchy projector film effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to create old scratchy projector film effect?

I recently copied some 8mm analog (film) tapes and I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to kind of recreate the scratchyness, little things flickering around, etc... look of those old tapes. I'd like to insert some new footage and keep it in charactar of the old footage.
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

If you could find a really old movie, or capture one from an old TV show, before the movie begins, you might find some really scratchy stuff in the lead-in. If you capture that, you could then overlay that footage on top of your own in a program that does 2 or more timelines eg Premiere, VS6. you could loop the scratch footage, or chop it in different places to give a more random feel and paste it the length of your footage.

Or have a look at this:

This is a discussion forum for all issues related to macromedia flash and shockwave, fireworks, development

This is a filter for Flash, to do just that. If you have the program, or know someone with it, maybe you could render an AVI from it with the filter, for overlaying as mentioned above.

Or, I did a search on Google for "film scratches", and came up with a surprising amount of hits!

Cheers, Graham

Comment

Graham -

Thanks for the good ideas. I actually might have some scratchy video at the beginning and end of the clips I captured from the projector. Since I'm using MS Pro 6.5 overlay tracks aren't a problem.

I'm going to give it a shot.

- Mark
      - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

There is a plug in called aged film from DigiEffects

"AgedFilm(tm) is a new plug-in filter for Windows DeBabelizer, Windows Photoshop and Windows Premiere!

AgedFilm takes any video sequence, movie or still image and electronically "ages" it!
        You can add scratches, hair, dust, graininess, luminance flicker, and tint with any color.
        You have over 19 parameters, all of them animatable! The results are very realistic,
        unlike other products that have tried to create this effect."

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

Mark
          - Mark

Comment

I think one of the basic video effects that come with the Pro version of QuickTime is a film aging effect. Don't know how good it is 'cause I've never used it.
            Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

One of the slickest filters I have used for that "aged" look is in Vegas Video 3.0. The filter can do aging/snow/scratches/flicker, etc. And the effect can be previewed to see what the effect will look like before you render. It is a simple matter of dropping the effect in the timeline.

If you don't have Vegas Video you could check if VideoFactory (Scaled down version of VegasVideo) has that filter included with it.

Since Video Factory is only $79 it might be a cheaper solution that buying some of the more expensive filter packages.

Just a thought
              Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

I actually have Vegas Audio 2.0. I'm pretty sure the upgrade to VV 3.0 is not too much, I guess I'm lazy. I so used to MS Pro.
                - Mark

Comment

I pretty much use MSPro 6.02 for alot of my work but have found Vegas video 3.0 to be quite usefull for some stuff.

If I could ever figure out how to use motion paths for overlay/picture-in-picture with Vegas Video I would probably use that for most of my work.

But, since I am comfortable with MediaStudio I will probably stick with that for most of my work. Vegas Video is a fun program to try.
                  Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

Working...
                  X