Help with new powersupply choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with new powersupply choice

After all those years with a generic 300W that has served me well, it´s close to its limits now I added a 80Gb Barracuda. Voltages went down: 3.1V and 4.8V on the 3.3 and 5V rails aren´t a good sign for sure...

Anyway, my 2 choices on my budget (no more than 80€) are:
    - Antec Truepower 330W (79€)
    - Thermaltake Purepower 420W (77€)

Any opinions or review links are welcome.

If had to go for a power supply now I would go for Antec true power. Possibly becuase I found there web site pretty convincing.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

See if you can find this supply. I have one, and it's very good for the money.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I got an Antec true power a few weeks ago, and so far so good (on the second try).
        The first one I got was the 450watt model, and when I hooked it up and powered up, it made a really nice light show, tossing sparks all over the inside of my case.
        When I took it back, they where out of the 450s, so I got a 550 instead, and it's working great.

What I like about these TurePower models:
        Dual variable speed fans
        Designated variable case fan leads
        Mobo connector to monitor fan speed
        LOTS of connectors
        Long wires (this thing could easily run in the biggest tower case, and still have plenty of wire left over)
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I'm happy with my new CWT (Channel Well) 430W jobbie.

It's nice and heavy
          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

IIRC there were some issues with some Antec PSU's and Ati Radeons 9700. See Thank You and Fsck You ATI thread on Ars.

Comment

Actually the choice must be between the two I mentioned.
              I´ve read very good things about Antec, but on the few reviews on the Thermaltake it´s been flawless to.
              All the lines have more amperage on the Thermaltake than the Antec (as simple watts aren´t always a good measure about PSU´s) but Antec has a more strict tolerance, 3-5% while Thermaltake goes up to 10% on the 12V line.

Comment

My Enermax 350W is great, my buddy also has one and we've been using them for a combined year now without problems.
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

UtwigMU,

After reading that thread, the only thing that I can determine is:

There are a LOT of idiots in this world

Sheeze.

Buy an Aopen power supply. It is not the best, won't attract woman, won't make your motherboard voltage readings perfect. But they seem to be solidly built, and very reliable units that seem to live up to their power ratings without making a fuss.

I am also aware that Aopen power supplies are often just rebadged power supplies from other cheaper makers. I still stand by my opinion though. I have seen very few dead Aopen power supplies over the last few years.
                  80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Originally posted by rugger
                    Buy an Aopen power supply. It is not the best, won't attract woman, won't make your motherboard voltage readings perfect.
                    Speak for yourself. Dude there are hundreds of models, actresses and all sort of beautiful women that flock to my computer just so they get to see my Enermax PSU. I get so many women it's starting to annoy me!
                    Titanium is the new bling!
                    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro

Speak for yourself. Dude there are hundreds of models, actresses and all sort of beautiful women that flock to my computer just so they get to see my Enermax PSU. I get so many women it's starting to annoy me!
                      ROFL

"Bad Jokes ZokesPro" strikes again
                      80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

hmm...my 300watt aopen (from hx-08 case) , died a horrible death.

My compter is running quite nicely on a codegen 400watt, the cheapest one I could find

Comment

STOP! they are all escapees from the local mental institution!

or

pr0n doesn't count
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe

STOP! they are all escapees from the local mental institution!
                            Or... ZokesPro escaped from the mental institution?

Anyway, has anyone heard of/tried 2theMax "Evil Cow King" PSU? They are very famous in Asia and they seem to be very solid built.
                            P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                            Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                            And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Forgot to mention... 2theMax IS Epox.
                              P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                              Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                              And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Working...
                              X