A better Yahoo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A better Yahoo?

I'm sure alot of you have probably seen this already, however I thought others that hadn't might find it of interest... maybe

My Way is a new portal from the creators/owners of iWon (or was it iWin ), that looks to overtake Yahoo, or at the very least capture some of that latters user base whom are sick of unsolicited e-mail, banner ads, and intrusive pop-up ads. It may even capture some of MSN's user base whom are feeling pinched by Hotmail's increasing "free" limitations and restrictions. This due to the offering of a 6mb e-mail account (just think, yourname@myway.com, doesn't it just make you all tingly inside ).

You can find their mission statement here, and here is an interesting quote,

My Way makes money through clearly identified sponsored listings and text links. We also keep our expenses low by partnering with the best and most trusted providers in the business instead of doing everything ourselves.

Does it work? Yes. In fact, we will be profitable in our first month of operation.
    If anything it's interesting to see someone offering free services without large, annoying, and intrusive ads of any sort, much less one that thinks it's going to be profitable in the first month... will have to wait and see...
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

I know I used to get tons of spam from Iwon and I also heard it installs spyware on your computer
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

This site seems clean atm. at least as far as pages go. I really don't need a 10th (or is that 11th) email addy so I havn't tested out that part yet
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

My wife plays games alot on both iWon and iWin, so I know those are similiar to the games found on Yahoo and MSN. She hasn't had any problems with spyware though... could be that they have something to download that does contain it (I believe they have a toolbar for IE similiar to that of Yahoo).

Like Sasq I haven't messed with the e-mail part, although I did sign up for an account (the e-mail account is another step) and I can say the My Page feature is pretty standard and easy to use. There's really nothing "original" and I'd bet that their biggest "feature" right now is that there are no ads (besides targeted text ads).
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Hey I'm all for it. In the GeoCities area of Yahoo! they have included a clause that states that any works stored on their servers are more or less no longer yours...ie. any original works of art, or literature, you can kiss bye bye if you're not careful...grrr

~Sethos
          "...and in the next instant he was one of the deadest men that ever lived." – Mark Twain

Comment

I considered signing up, but didn't bother cause "ididit@myway.com" is already taken...

Comment

Originally posted by Sethos
              Hey I'm all for it. In the GeoCities area of Yahoo! they have included a clause that states that any works stored on their servers are more or less no longer yours...ie. any original works of art, or literature, you can kiss bye bye if you're not careful...grrr

~Sethos
              They did that some time ago. As soon as I heard I had every single scrap of fiction I ever wrote pulled from every Geocities website it was posted on, even though it all had copyright notices at the bottom.
              Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

5 email addresses is enough, unless they allow POP3 access and provide SMTP servers...
                Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Working...
                X