Mandrake 9 ISO burning issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandrake 9 ISO burning issues...

I assume that the ISOs I downloaded should produce bootable CDs.

I've tried a few times now on both Nero burning Rom (v5.5x) and Fireburner to burn these CDs, which I was able to do, but I could not boot off of them once burned. For those of you with say...Fireburner, for example, what settings should I be using? I read the readme and it said to make sure it was "mode1/2048", which it is. I just don't know whether to burn DAO16 or 96, SAO, TAO, etc etc.

I'ts an old 8x plextor burner, btw. Thanks.

have you checked the ISO's with MD5?.

can you read the CD's in windows?

Comment

erm, the ISO has a boot partition in it. I just fired up Nero and clicked on burn ISO from the FILE menu. I dont think you need to specify any settings (or at least i didn't)
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

For old burners, your best bet is just to use SAO mode only (no raw or anything else)

Thats if the download is correct (verified using md5sum)
        80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

You should be able too however the option will need to be set in your computer bios as well. If, like me on computer I'm using a scsi card I can't get the machine to boot from CD. It gives the option and then sulks. That however seems to be a the Via board and Adaptec problem as I didn't have the problem earlier on an intel based chipset.
          A solution you can use is the bootable floppy that you should be able to create from the Mandrake CD under windoze. You could under Mandrake 8 anyway. I doubt that they removed it.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

If memory serves correctley (big if) most of the Linux bootable CDs only use floppy emulation anyway, so using an actual floppy instead is no big deal.
            MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Yes, i can read the CD in windows. I'll see if there is a way to make a boot disk.

Also, I CAN indeed boot off of other CDs in that machine, jut not this one.

There IS a boot disk maker on the Mandrake CD, but it needs an image file to write for the floppy...and I don't know which file to use...
              Last edited by Kooldino; 20 November 2002, 14:00.

Comment

Ok...got it...i had to write \images\cdrom.img to the floppy drive. Go figure.

I'd still MUCH rather have a bootable CD tho.

Comment

Doh. I keep getting these "errors while installing package XXX". I've gotten 2 or 3 so far, and I'm only halfway installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                    have you checked the ISO's with MD5?.

can you read the CD's in windows?
                    What's MD5 and how do i check it?

Comment

MD5 is a fingerprint of the file that allows you to check whether it was damaged. If it won't boot and you're getting errors during installation then it probably was. Follow the link to get the software to generate the md5 from the iso's.

MD5 Info @ linuxiso.org

The following should be the correct MD5's for Mandrake 9. If one of yours are different, you'll have to redownload the iso.

CD1=f7a093af34b8cbe1abc165213fea9deb
                      CD2=05a3ccafaacc37d6d1e2f260fc274549
                      CD3=1a2fd731fb6e30d39b0b99f504b231b3

pabst.

Comment

Sounds like you download is either furbarred your CD burner fubarred the iso image or your software or you've got dirt on the cd.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

looks like i had 3 errors...(i think). redownloading....

Comment

Which is a bit annoying even with a fast link it takes a fair time.
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Dunno why this has been moved as it's more about iso burning and poss data corruption than pure linux.
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X