Poe beats Einstein to the punch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poe beats Einstein to the punch

Did Edgar Allen Poe describe the Big Bang in 1848?

In 1848, the Wylie and Putnam publishing house published the prose poem “Eureka” by Edgar Allan Poe, in which the writer expressed his revolutionary views u...

You be the judge:

Kevin

Yup...not to mention H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, Mary Shelly, A. Huxley, Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Harlan Ellison and yes, even Gene Roddenberry.

All did a fair job of foretelling the future, or on how to handle it.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 November 2002, 01:31.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

'Course the next question is... how much of what people describe is accurate, and how much is us giving them a bit of "help"?

For example, Asimov - in the 50's - was writing about "positronic" brains. Now, did he hear about theoretical physics work with antimatter? It's entirely likely. Additionally, his laws of robotics evolved over time (and with input from scientists and other scholars, I imagine).

Many of the people on this list were/are good scientific minds in addition to being authors.

But the question still begs to be asked - are we naming things after the authors' original names for them?

---------------

On another note, wanna be scared?

Go read "Neuromancer" by William Gibson. Then remember that he wrote it 20 years ago, that he had never used a computer until he had to type up the manuscript, and that he has NO advanced knowledge whatsoever about science and technology.

THAT's freaky.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Arthus C. CLarke predicted goesynchronous orbit long before anyone put a satellite there. That's why it's called the 'Clarke Belt.'

Jammrock
        Last edited by Jammrock; 20 November 2002, 07:04.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

He also invented the whole concept of the communications satellite.

Guess we know who the *real* innovators are, don't we? It's the fantasy/sci-fi crowd. The engineers read and watch their stuff as kids and that sets them off to make it real. Happens all the time with Star Trek. Several of the major research labs are loaded with old Trekkers that got PhD's.

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 November 2002, 13:59.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
          X