PDA

View Full Version : Networking question

GT98
19th November 2002, 10:42
Ok I have a question I have a group of PCs that use Netbui(program we are using requires using this) on a Microsoft P2P network that needs to talk to another group of PCs on a remote LAN. Any suggestions?

the maddman
19th November 2002, 11:14
Well, since NetBeui can't be routed, I'd recommend installing TCP/IP along side it and using that for remote communications. And while NetBeui is nice cause you don't have to set anything up, it's a horridly inefficient protocol, I personally can't stand it, way to much load on the switches IMNSHO. But you can run more than one protocol on your network and solve your problems that way.

GT98
19th November 2002, 11:29
Thanks for the answer, I was talking to our Network guy and we where talking about the same thing, but the program design is out of our hands right now. Maybe I'll bitch to the guy whos in charge, but I doubt that will solve much since most sites use the program locally.

GT98
19th November 2002, 11:32
Thanks for the answer, I was talking to our Network guy and we where talking about the same thing, but the program design is out of our hands right now. Maybe I'll bitch to the guy whos in charge of the design of the program, but I doubt that will solve much since most sites use the program locally.

EDIT: Damnit how the hell did I quote myself? :D

Byock
19th November 2002, 11:40
Yup, Ditch it if possible. TCP/IP can encapsulate it, but I don't recommend it. It does not work well, and is more of a hack then anything.

Kooldino
19th November 2002, 22:35
for some reason I think I remember getting around things in college using NetBIOS...