Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR333/400 ram in DDR266 mobo

Hi all,

I'm currently running an ECS K7S5A mobo with 2x256mb PC133 ram. The mobo supports DDR 266mhz RAM, but I plan to change it sometime in the summer, so I'll like to buy a couple of 256 DDR333/400 ram sticks in mean time to get some extra performance.

The question is if it's possible to run DDR333/400 ram at 266?
    Do I have to check for a special kind of ram type?

thanks,
    Ivan
    <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

I'd update to the coming SiS 746 boads that support DDR333/400. It's not like SiS boards are that expensive and these boards will be all set up for a 333 mhz FSB cpu upgrade later on.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

- K7S5A does support DDR333, can't say anything about its stability though.

- DDR sticks are backward-compatible
      P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
      Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
      And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

thanks for the replies!

Know I'm trying to find a couple of "branded" 333mhz DDR memory sticks. I've tried lots of online shops but I can't find any which will deliver to Spain.
        Does anybody know of any shop wich have that memory and delibers to Spain?

thanks, Ivan
        <font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="1" >epox 8RDA+ running an Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1.7Ghz with 2x256mb Crucial PC2700, an Adaptec 1200A IDE-Raid with 2x WD 7200rpm 40Gb striped + a 120Gb and a 20Gb Seagate, 2x 17" LG Flatron 775FT, a Cordless Logitech Trackman wheel and a <b>banding enhanced</b> Matrox Parhelia 128 retail shining thru a Koolance PC601-Blue case window<br>and for God's sake pay my <a href="http://www.drslump.biz">site</a> a visit!</font>

Comment

The only difference between DDR 200, 266, 333 and 400, in theory, is the tolerence level. Basically put, DDR 400 can handle higher clock speed than DDR 200.

Since the clock speed of the RAM is no longer determined by the RAM, but by the BIOS, as long as the all the DRR modules can support the speeds set by the BIOS/user, there shouldn't be any issues.

However, if you buy cheap-o sticks of different speeds and overclock them, you may run into issues. Some RAM makers make extremely low quality product which causes issues. Stick with the known good l33t favorites, like Crucial, Samsung, Munshkin, Corsair, etc, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by drslump
            Does anybody know of any shop wich have that memory and delibers to Spain?
            You will probably find branded memory at some local dealer, but if not then at least Crucial sells their products worldwide: http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/list...ards&submit=Go

Comment

You could use PC2700 (DDR333) memory on the ECS K7S5A by flashing a third party bios.

OCW CheepoBios

Warning, use at your own risk
              Last edited by Admiral; 19 November 2002, 11:12.

Comment

Hi,

I've been flashing the lastest CheepoBios for some time now, they are great. I realized I could change the FSB up to 200 but I wasn't sure if DDR2700 sticks were compatible with older versions
                After visiting my local computer shop, the chief technician there told me that I can't use 333mhz memory on a 266mhz mobo but he couldn't give any explanation about it. That's why I asked here in the forum. Now it's crystal clear, if I put a couple of PC333 sticks w/o tweaking the bios (normal 133mhz FSB) they have to run. I would imagine though that if they don't work should be caused by incompatibilities with the mobo, nothing to do with the FSB speed.

ps: I think I've found a reseller for Corsair ram here in spain, waiting for an answer from their customer service.

btw, could somebody explain me this : if I change the FSB settings in the bios to lets say 166/166, am I just overclocking the cpu and mem or I'm rising the PCI/AGP frequencies too?

cheers, Ivan

Comment

Working...
                X