Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain in the butt ISP's

Yep,

Even the best of ISP's can be a real pain in the a** occasionly.

Take arachnet for example. They normally have very good tech support, and you can ussually communicate with knowledgable people who know can provide decent answers. Hiwever, since we got our ADSL link with them, we have been having having some problems with minor packet loss over the ADSL portion of our connection.

So today, I finally get around to contacting them about this packet loss. I get handled over to tech support, who tell me to do the usual things (reboot, reinstall driver), which I do (since it is make them happy and ensures it really isn't the computer's fault). Anyway, problem still there, so I ring up again, and they say they don't know what is going on and they would need to talk to the sysadmin and they would call me back.

After about 2 hours without them calling me back (this is normal, since call you back ussually means wait 2 hours and call us back in most businesses) I finally call them back and they pass me onto the sysadmin who instantly tells me that that the packet loss is from the overloaded ADSL ATM network and that it will be fixed in the next few days. (the background to this is that they requested Telstra upgrade their feed to the ADSL network 2 weeks ago, but Telstra has a 20 day turnaround on this stuff and Arachnet grew too much in the meantime)

So after 3 hours, and going through the motions of resetting up my software and jumping through the hoops, I finally get an answer that should have taken only 2 minites to reach when I first contacted them.

So thats my somewhat weak rant. Whats yours?

(BTW: I still love arachnet and their support, even after this hiccup, because I know that if I was with Telstra bigbond or IInet, I may have NEVER gotten an answer)
    80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Re: Pain in the butt ISP's

Originally posted by rugger
    So thats my somewhat weak rant. Whats yours?
    I am on 56k

That was my rant
    -Slougi

Comment

Tech support ringing back never heard of it.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I have a bitch about an ISP I don't even have an account with.

EXODUS.NET seems to be having a problem passing on URL requests to Asia. In fact they've been KO'ed the better part of 3 days this week. No server etc.

This is a major PITA for me since I've got big files to download and I can't FTP or even get on the associated forum

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X