Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norton ghost makes no sense

I'm using Norton Ghost 2002.

I booted from a Ghost boot disk and tried backing up a 6GB HDD (using the "Entire Disk to Image" option).

I then selected "High compression".

I also tried setting options prior to the backup so that it "spans" the image and "auto names the spans".

Basically my problem is that I cannot backup a 6GB disk on a 10GB partition. It tells me that I've run out of space on the target drive. I've encountered similar problems on other machines of mine. WHY?

What was the exact error message you got?
    Last edited by SitFlyer; 17 November 2002, 21:25.

Comment

PQ driveimage

Comment

I've had this problem when I created a ghost diskette with the pcdos option. Diskspace doesn't seem to be read correctly or if you delete some files the space isn't freed up.
        My solution was, as the use msdos option didn't work was make a boot disk under 98 and then copy the ghostpe.exe onto it and make my autoexec.bat. Problem solved.
        I'll check my options when I get back home.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

If the 10 GB partition is formatted as FAT32, then it could be the 4 GB file size limit..
          There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Ghosting

Kooldino,

if the 10 GB partition is on the same disk as the "entire disk" (i.e. same physical disk) then it won't work.

RULE : you cannot write an image to the disk you are imaging

this is true for drive image as well. the image has to be written off to another physical disk or some other medium.

cc
            Last edited by Chucky Cheese; 18 November 2002, 02:03.

Comment

On the Symantec website:

"Not enough disk space on the destination drive

Situation:
              When you perform a Disk-to-Disk operation, a Partition-to-Partition operation, or you restore an image file, you see a message that indicates the destination partition or disk does not have enough room.

Solution:
              Generally, this problem happens when the destination disk or partition is the same size as or slightly smaller than the source disk or partition. In this case, configuring Ghost to increase the size of the partition usually resolves the problem.

When the destination disk or partition has considerably more space than the source, try each of the following solutions:

If using the switch -SPAN, use the switch -SPLIT instead.
              Check the BIOS to ensure that the destination drive is set up correctly.
              Replace the version of the DOS system files on the bootable floppy disk or Ghost Boot Partition with MS DOS files. See the document How to replace the DOS files .
              Run Ghost with the -OR switch to prevent Ghost from evaluating the amount of available space on the destination disk or partition. After Ghost completes the cloning process, determine whether the destination disk or partition includes all the data that was in the source disk or partition. If some data is missing, try a different solution for this problem."

Not enough disk space on the destination drive
              Last edited by SitFlyer; 18 November 2002, 02:02.

Comment

Ghost automatically spans any volume over 2 GB into 2GB files. If you have 6 GB worth of data it will spann across 3 files...unless compression reduces it under 4 GB.

High compression will give you typically a 2:1 compression ration, sometime a 3:1, depending on the type of data.

The DOS Ghost program will report free space on the drive, make sure it's reporting the free space properly. If not you will need to run Scan disk to correct any problems.

Also remember that you have to format the drive BEFORE doing 'Entire Disk to Image.' If your 10 GB disk is empty and you are moving the drive over, you need to do a disk-to-disk copy, and it doesn't matter if the drive is preformated or not.

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                  PQ driveimage
                  Tried it...still didn't work for some reason (I forget, it was awhile ago)

Comment

Originally posted by SitFlyer
                    What was the exact error message you got?
                    I believe it was "out of disk space" or somethign along those lines. The only thing on the disk (after rebooting into Windows and inspecting) was a single 2GB image file. Even the recycle bin was empty.

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                      I've had this problem when I created a ghost diskette with the pcdos option. Diskspace doesn't seem to be read correctly or if you delete some files the space isn't freed up.
                      My solution was, as the use msdos option didn't work was make a boot disk under 98 and then copy the ghostpe.exe onto it and make my autoexec.bat. Problem solved.
                      I'll check my options when I get back home.
                      Definitely get back to me on this and elaborate a little bit...like what parameters did you have to use, etc.

And why didn't the "use MS DOS" option work?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucid
                        If the 10 GB partition is formatted as FAT32, then it could be the 4 GB file size limit..
                        The only file on the disk was 2GB.

Comment

Re: Ghosting

Originally posted by Chucky Cheese
                          Kooldino,

if the 10 GB partition is on the same disk as the "entire disk" (i.e. same physical disk) then it won't work.

RULE : you cannot write an image to the disk you are imaging

this is true for drive image as well. the image has to be written off to another physical disk or some other medium.

cc
                          Read my problem description carefully...if you did, you'll see why your post doesn't make sense...
                          I was trying to backup a 6GB disk on a 10GB partition. So basically it would be impossibile for that to be the same disk.

Comment

Originally posted by SitFlyer
                            On the Symantec website:

"Not enough disk space on the destination drive

Situation:
                            When you perform a Disk-to-Disk operation, a Partition-to-Partition operation, or you restore an image file, you see a message that indicates the destination partition or disk does not have enough room.

Solution:
                            Generally, this problem happens when the destination disk or partition is the same size as or slightly smaller than the source disk or partition. In this case, configuring Ghost to increase the size of the partition usually resolves the problem.

When the destination disk or partition has considerably more space than the source, try each of the following solutions:

If using the switch -SPAN, use the switch -SPLIT instead.
                            Check the BIOS to ensure that the destination drive is set up correctly.
                            Replace the version of the DOS system files on the bootable floppy disk or Ghost Boot Partition with MS DOS files. See the document How to replace the DOS files .
                            Run Ghost with the -OR switch to prevent Ghost from evaluating the amount of available space on the destination disk or partition. After Ghost completes the cloning process, determine whether the destination disk or partition includes all the data that was in the source disk or partition. If some data is missing, try a different solution for this problem."

Not enough disk space on the destination drive
                            Very good! The DOS thing was mentioned by someone above, and I'll give that SPLIT option a shot too. Good find. I'll give that a quick try before I jump in the shower and let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                              Ghost automatically spans any volume over 2 GB into 2GB files. If you have 6 GB worth of data it will spann across 3 files...unless compression reduces it under 4 GB.

High compression will give you typically a 2:1 compression ration, sometime a 3:1, depending on the type of data.

The DOS Ghost program will report free space on the drive, make sure it's reporting the free space properly. If not you will need to run Scan disk to correct any problems.

Also remember that you have to format the drive BEFORE doing 'Entire Disk to Image.' If your 10 GB disk is empty and you are moving the drive over, you need to do a disk-to-disk copy, and it doesn't matter if the drive is preformated or not.

Jammrock
                              I'm not totally following your wording here...but let me just tell you what I did, tell me if I did anything wrong...

-Insereted the backup HDD into the PC (just because Ghost wouldn't backup over the network to save my life...completely different story).
                              -FDISKed the drive, created a 10+GB partition.
                              -Formatted my partition as FAT32
                              -Ran Ghost with the "Entire disk (the 6GB disk) to Image (on the 10GB partion of the newly inserted disk).

OH, BTW...this just made me realize that the 6GB disk is FAT16, if that matters at all. Just thought you'd like to know. Ok, I'm done post whoring for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X