Screen Tear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen Tear?

For some reason I can see the outline of images in a lot of my games such as SOF 2 and NOLF 2 with my Parhelia. I know Matrox are aware of the NOLF 2 problem and it looks like FAA 16 is causing the problem. I was just wondering if anyone had a similiar problem? I'm using the 42 driver set any advice?
    thx
    Andy

Think it might have something to do with connecting via BNC?

Comment

It is an issue with FAA when fog is being used.
      Tearing is something completely different, related to vsynch.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I couldn't keep FAA on in NOLF2. At 1024x768x32, with all options on, FAA would have been too much load for the later levels.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Ok cool is there any way of solving the problem in games like SOF 2 or are Matrox working on it for the next driver release?

Comment

If the game allows it, disable fog.
            If not, disable FAA.
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Turning off FAA 16 x fixed problem, do you think this problem will be fixed for next driver release? and has this been a problem since the original drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by 3dfx
                Turning off FAA 16 x fixed problem, do you think this problem will be fixed for next driver release? and has this been a problem since the original drivers?
                No and yes
                "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

µße®LørÐ - A legend in his underwear
                Member of For F*ck Sake UT clan
                DriverHeaven administrator
                PowerVR Network administrator

Comment

Do you think this problem will ever be fixed or is it inherently in the Hardware ?

Comment

Originally posted by 3dfx
                    Do you think this problem will ever be fixed or is it inherently in the Hardware ?
                    No and yes

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

µße®LørÐ - A legend in his underwear
                    Member of For F*ck Sake UT clan
                    DriverHeaven administrator
                    PowerVR Network administrator

Comment

I think I'm gonna
                      But I still luV!!! MA!!PARHELIA !!

P.S. Do you think it might have something to do with my BNC connectors? on monitor
                      Last edited by 3dfx; 18 November 2002, 09:18.

Comment

P.S. Do you think it might have something to do with my BNC connectors? on monitor
                        no

That only pertains to when Vsync (Vblank) is disabled on the Gcard and the frame being outputted clashes with the Vsync (Vblank) setting of the monitor... ie especially when the Gcard's frame rate changes (dependent on the scene load).

For example: lets say Gcard is ~42fps and the monitor is set to say 85Hz you would see ~2x tears in the scene. If it neared less than that you would have an increase of screen tears proportional to the ratio between them..

Monitor refresh rate 85Hz

Gcard fps
                        = 42.5 = 2 tears in screen
                        = 28.33 = 3
                        = 21.25 = 4

etc etc etc
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

By updating to the 2kxp_102_02_003 drivers set from the 2kxp_102_00_042 I appeared to have fixed some of my probs, it is still there but less apparent. For me atleast it is almost gone in NOLF 2

Comment

I heard that if you get a bigger PSU it can help the banding in games

Comment

Power supply issues were suspected at first, but it seems unlikely now. I for one, went from a 350W to a 450W unit (for other reasons), and the banding is still quite present.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X