Norton Anti Virus 2003 and ATi drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norton Anti Virus 2003 and ATi drivers

Norton anti virus is beginning to bug me. I disabled the email scanning as it tended to choke on large files. Damn thing has turned itself back on again. Is it trying to be smart or something?
    "Hey the user has disabled virus scanning, this isn't good we know whats best lets turn it back on"
    Ati have released a new driver set. This contains a so called smartgart. This should be renamed dumbgart.
    First install it disabled all AGP functions and if you ran Dxinfo the machine would crash. This is under XP. Uninstalling and then installing the older drivers still left you without any agp or d3d functions.
    Back to good old ghost and start again. According to ATI if you just update the drivers manualy dumbgart doesn't get installed. I do that and everything is still working. Install the new control panel and theres dumbgart but everything is working. Mistake one I enable fast writes reboot and AGP and d3d disabled. Back to the old image update manually and this time leave the old control panel in. Dumbgart is there but doesn't seem to be doing anything.
    Sort of reminds of the way matrox test for AGP compatbility and sometimes got it wrong. Yes the machine can run in AGP x2 mode but no it couldn't. Or it decided that you could only run in AGP x1 yet when forced it would perfectly in AGP x2.
    If you're going test the system please give the users an option to overide the settings either by a tweak program (like Matrox) or within the drivers themselfs.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page
Working...
X