Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To the author of murc forums and members? what about makin an irc channel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To the author of murc forums and members? what about makin an irc channel?

Would have been great to have a channel on irc,so we could have talk realtime in or what?
    Could we take a little vote for whos with me on that?
    I think it would have been mad dope!! :P

What's IRC like these days Wiken? The last time I logged on to it (over a year and a half ago) it was one big traffic jam. Very frustrating.

Comment

Setting up and keeping an IRC channel isn't particularly hard to do. I've been lurking in them for a while using a readily available client like <A HREF="http://www.mirc.co.uk" TARGET="_top">mIRC</A>. I'd recommend the NewNet IRC network servers like irc.chelmsford.com or irc.aohell.org

NewNet offers free services like NickServ nickname registration and ChanServ to keep an empty chatroom from collapsing in the wee hours.

As for traffic jams, that can easily be avoided by setting modes in such a way [+stn] that the chatroom isn't publicly listed. This way only MURC forum members know it exists.

Once in the chatroom the IRC environment provides OT side-chats, DCC file transfers & handy URL catching. In my experience, it's far more stable than the java-based chats.

Carter
      Carter
      ------
      [EditRig] Tyan Tiger100 rev.F, Dual P3 650MHz, 256mb PC100, [C:] 10.2g Seagate, [D:] 10.1g IBM, FastTrack66 RAID, [E:] Dual 30.7g Maxtors, [F:] Plextor 12x10x32x CDRW, Dual 17" Monitors, Matrox G400 32mb AGP, SBLive, Canopus DV Raptor, FourPoint2000, FastEthernet, USB IntelliEye, Windows2000, MSP 6.0, Canon XL-1/GL-1/L2

Comment

Dchip: Traffic jam? hmm, i dont know what to say, but irc is a very popular way to communicate over internet,so there is is lots of people there, and its pretty hard to find a channel that you like.But that aint the problem since we maybe gonna start our own, or what? =) ive been pretty active on irc since i got inet for like 4years ago.
        But i would rather use an EFnet server then new net, simply because i know there is alot people on some chans on efnet that of course has matrox(+other) card(s) and are pretty into capturing/editing etc.

Comment

What I remember of IRC was using Mirc program. Connecting was no problem but just how "live" your chat would be depended on how you were passed around amongst the various servers involved. You type a message and hit "send" or "enter" or whatever and think it's gone and three minutes (for example) later the others in the channel finally see it. I have even left a chatroom and returned to find myself still there. Stuff that would make Al Toffler proud. Anyway, I suppose much depends on the capacity of the servers involved. Perhaps EFnet or whatever you are proposing is much better than what I tried.

[This message has been edited by dchip (edited 26 July 2000).]

Comment

dchip: hey hey, of course its possible that it could be some netsplits now and then, but that aint often.
            And you have proully been to a server that has lagged alot, if there has been some sort of 3mins delaying in what you have written.

Btw, it would have been nice if you guys could tell if we should try makin a channel or not
            And i could see if there is anything i could
            do to help startin it.

(the idea is not for replacing this forum at all, but it would have been great to have a channel where its possible to talk in realtime, or what? =)))

Comment

This looks like a good idea on the surface, and there might be some mileage in it. I'll certainly bring it to Ant's attention.

I think the main problem is the policing of such a realtime environment. Both Ant and myself (and all the other Mods) have daytime jobs and would be unable to effectively stop any nonsense. As recent events will have shown you, things can turn nasty in a very short time with drastic results. IRC is known as a widely abused medium which attracts the less welcome monority.

Comment

this_idiot: hey hey

If i understand you right:
                There is lots of serious channels on irc, and ill guess this one could be to. Other channels that i do know that are pretty seriously and that i join each day on irc is mainly for dvd and dvdripping and not video editing / matrox stuff and things like that.
                (we really need that)!
                And there is simply no jobs for any todo, cause its all realtime(i mean like there is no need for a moderator just som ops =)

ops = operators
                so if anybody wanna try doin som shitt in the chan, its easy to ban them :P

Btw, i think it would have been great!
                hehe....

Comment

One of the things that has kept me coming to MURC for almost a year now is that it is uncluttered. The responses I get and give are always well-thought-out and given and received ONE AT A TIME. NLE, as I have found is a thoughtful process. Deep down I don't believe NLE/DV will lend itself well to the rapid-fire environment that IRC is. Who's going to answer a question? EVERYBODY, and all at the same time, and likely with many different answers. The bewildered newbie or even more experienced users would get lost in the storm.

Also, TI's concern is very valid. The unsavory crowd will eventually find every channel that they think they can leech something from and will show up begging for programs, cracks and copies of this, that and the other. "Kicking" them is an option but it is the exchange of words and other stuff that can be dumped into an IRC channel that would occur prior to the kick that would not be good for Matrox or Matrox patrons. I, for one, could not tolerate such an environment.

Wiken, you seem like an individual of boundless ideas and enthusiasm. If I was in a position to vote on this particular idea, I would have to vote "nay," but I would not hope to dampen your enthusiasm in any way because it a good thing.

Comment

Well it's an interesting topic an worthy of plenty of consideration.

As this thread is already showing, reponses here can almost be realtime and to be honest I can't cope with anything quicker. I've been logged on for just over 2 hours this evening, and so far I've managed to answer the luckily few emails that needed immediate attention and read the forum with appropriate responses (I've still got another half dozen threads to digest). Also 2 ICQ exchanges going on in background to top things up.

I get the point about ops, but effectively they perform a similar function to the forum moderators here on the MURC forums. The point is that someone has to monitor/police exchanges to prevent abuse, and the more realtime the medium, the more effort is required to perform that function.

This isn't a put-down on the idea, I'll be progressing it with Ant as soon as I can contact him. All points of view welcome, lets see what everyone else has to say.

Comment

I'm there with dchip,

The forum format suits me better, when you are giving advice or answers, you have time to check, and investigate before sending it out - better and more accurate answers.

Also, I only log on to the Internet when I send/receive my Email, and at the same time check the forums here for any interesting threads and download the new from the subscribed newsgroups (ie. I mostly operate off-line)

Pertti

Comment

I totally agree with all of ya, it was just an idea (and i still think the idea is good)
                        The idea of irc isnt for those of you that only will use this forum,but its for those other people who will find it usefull.
                        btw this forum is really mad dope :P

But to have choices is allways great, then one and each of us could do exactly what they will do (talk real realtime, or only puttin some msgs in this forum.
                        Thanx

Comment

I may have a suggestion which will help acomodate everybody here

If you vist http://www.videographersforum.com/ you will notice that the only time they allow online chatting is on Tuesdays, so maybe we can implement something similair here on MURC where one day of the week (with a special IRC link aside from the forum) we can all get together and simply chat about experiences and ask questions which I'm pretty sure many of us can answer on the spot
                          The forum can still be running at the same time and perhaps if the answer need research, it can be posted at a later time or date with reference to the question asked on IRC.

I'm for a one day a week chat, What do you all think??????

Regards,
                          Elie

Comment

Yeah, but what about those forum regulars who'd want to clutter up the chat room with hockey talk?

Comment

Should I bring my D8

Comment

Working...
                              X