G200 Marvel - TV tuner 3D query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 Marvel - TV tuner 3D query

Err I feel stupid asking this but before I lash out and Buy a game (horror of horrors - but it will be my first one!) Would Motorcross Madness play on my AGP G200 Marvel+TV tuner. or do I have to buy a 3d card thingy, I know its a 3d game?

If I do - how do I connect them together etc.?

Thanks

Biker

------------------

The Marvels have a split personality. One side is a 2D/2D graphics card while the other is a TV tuner/capture device. Most 3D games play just fine on them.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hi Doc - thanks for the reply.
      What if a game says it needs 3dfx? I know NOTHING about games, but buddies tell me that you have to have a 3D card to get most newer games to work, as they are nearly all 3DFX? They also tell me that I cant use a 3D card if my Marvel is using the AGP port?

I really have not got a clue on these things, But I dont want to waste £40+ pounds on a game for it to sit collecting dust in the corner. Hence any info is most welcome.

Cheers - Biker.

------------------

Comment

3Dfx uses a propriatory mini-OpenGL driver for their cards. OpenGL is a fairly universal standardized 3D graphics interface. Full OpenGL drivers, called an ICD, are highly advantageous. The Marvels have one.

The G200 Marvels support full OpenGL and Direct3D programs as well as some other specific programs. Motocross Madness is specifically mentioned on this page as being supported;

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/m.../3d_gaming.htm

IF you want to use another 3D card with the Marvel G200 then just choose a PCI one like the Voodoo2. They work quite well with the Marvels and are 3Dfx cards.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 03 August 2000).]

Comment

Thanks Doc, many blessings to you.

------------------

Comment

Hey, Doc, stupid question, but what would a PCI Marvel think if I put a Voodoo AGP card in the system? Last time I tried this, I think the Marvel drivers made a fuss about being in a multi-monitor system.

Comment

Generally speaking it's best to set up a multi display layout with video cards by the same maker. An example would be using the old PCI Millennium II as a second display adapter with the RT-2000, a setup that works very nicely.

It *might* work as long as the AGP card didn't also have video capture hardware and the Gods aren't mad at you for some reason, but then again....

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yeah, it doesn't have capture stuff, it's just the Voodoo that came with my system. I was interested in using it because (1) its drivers don't crash Worldcraft 3, (2) it runs Half-Life well at higher than 640x480, (3) I don't have a PCI slot left in my system

Comment

Working...
                X