Matrox cards and motherboard compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox cards and motherboard compatibility

I'll be upgrading my rig in the next month or so.
    Here's my upgrade path:

Q04 02
    WD800JB - next week
    Chieftec Dragon CS2001 or Antec SX1030 14 (6/2/6) bays silver case
    ECS K7S5A w/ integrated LAN
    AthlonXP 1600+
    Toshiba SD-M1612 16X48 IDE
    USR V90 PCI HW modem
    Intel NIC (for the other rig)

Q01 03
    512MB PC2700
    Brandname 400-450W PSU (likely Antec)
    Tyan S2466/2xAthlonXP or 845EP based board/P4
    Hercules GTXP or similiar soundcard
    Logitech Z560 or 640 or similiar speakers
    HP Deskjet 1700 PS A3+ printer

Q02/Q3 03
    1-3 19" or 2 21" monitors - incremental
    videocard(s) - no new videocard untill i replace this crappy Adi MicroScan Bluratron™

My G400 16SH is one of those AGP 2x only parts and it will have to survive 2 motherboards.

Q Will it work in ECS K7S5A? Will it work in Tyan Tiger MPX? Does R69 mod require soldering or can you use pencil or similiar technique?

I have Hercules 3D Prophet II MX which is AGP 4x compatible, but it will go in the other (current) rig since I prefer G400 for what I do.

Here are the multimonitor upgrade options?
    - Millenium 3D or G200 PCI for 2nd monitor or
    - G450 PCI for 2nd and 3d monitor or
    Q What are the penalties of using nonintel chipset with G450 PCI
    (There is a great chance that either Pitou will be out or Parhelia will trickle to more reasonable price segment by that time)
    - Parhelia/Parhelia revision/Pitou

What are/Are there any MPX/Parhelia glitches/incompatibilities?

Also feel free to comment on upgrade path as well.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 16 November 2002, 12:00.

Q What are the penalties of using nonintel chipset with G450 PCI

From teh Matrox FAQ
    - For non-Intel chipsets, the G450 PCI does not support bus-mastering. While this lowers performance on synthetic benchmarks, it does not hinder the everyday usability of the card. Additionally, for the combination of G450 PCI and non-Intel chipsets, Open-GL acceleration and DVDMax are not supported.

- Matrox has identified certain instabilities when bus-mastering is activated on the combination of non-Intel chipset and the PCI version of the Millennium G450 series.

Comment

I had no problems running my G400 MAX in a ECS K7S5A..though I'm not sure what your asking
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Mine is one of those early AGP 2x only cards and may require R69 mod.

Comment

What are/Are there any MPX/Parhelia glitches/incompatibilities?
          None that I have experienced here.

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
          ASUS A7N8X
          Corsair 1GB PC3200
          Parhelia 128MB
          EIZO L685EX

Comment

I've recently had weeks of fun trying to get an ECS K7S5A to run stably.
            First off it didnt even post if I had a Compaq 3121 Nic installed in it (Tried 2 of them that worked in other systems) and would lock up for no apparent reason. I swapped HDDs, NICs, video cards, Memory, upgraded and downgraded drivers etc etc and eventually someone suggested I run the ram at PC100 instead of PC133.
            It worked, now the board is stable.

My advice is junk the ECS mobo unless you really really cant afford anything better or have large amounts of PC133 memory you want to use (my reason for buying the thing)
            Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

512MB Micron PC133 CAS2

From what I read, heard this boards either work or not.

I'm planning on getting one with NIC. The only other card I'll use will be Adaptec 2904 Fast SCSI controller. There is option of geting Epox 8kem2 but that board cannot take DDR, has no NIC and is SIS 740 based.

Here's the complete deal:

RIG1 (now)

generic beige case 3/3 drive bays (it's actually nice)
              Macase 300W PSU
              Zalman silent case fan

DFI P2XBL (440BX, Katmai 600/100 is maximum supported CPU, won't take coppermine on a slocket)
              Pentium II 350@466, stock intel cooler
              512MB Micron PC133 CAS2 (256MB sticks are not officially supported by this mobo)

Matrox G400 16MB SH
              SB64 PCI
              Adaptec 2904 Fast SCSI (scanner, 2 CD-ROMs)
              US Robotics V90 ISA hardware modem

Teac 1.44 Floppy
              IDE1 master WD800JB (next week, have teh monies)
              IDE2 master WD CAC28004 (8.4@5400)
              IDE2 slave Philips CD-ROM 36x ATAPI

SCSI1 Umax Astra 2200 (USB+SCSI) scanner
              SCSI4 Teac CD-ROM532S
              SCSI6 Teac CD-R56S

Adi Microscan 5 (17", 1024x768@85max)

spare parts:
              Codegen 200W PSU (Memtest86 locked up with 2 256MB sticks, but worked with either stick)
              128MB LG PC100 CAS3 (capable of 133CAS3)
              Hercules 3D Prophet II MX with added fan
              Epson !!!! 1.44MB Floppy

The goal of this upgrade is to make two rigs out of one and donate lesser rig to my bro. Since I have 512MB of PC133 and 256MB is unacceptable, DDR will have to wait.

Xmas

RIG1 (my rig)
              Chieftec Dragon DA-01WD silver 6/2/6 drive bays
              Macase 300W PSU
              appropriate fans

ECS K7S5A w/ LAN
              Q Possible also Epox 8KEM2, is this better? The board has no NIC and supports only SDRAM, costs same as ECS.
              Athlon XP 1600+
              Thermalright SK6 (Not sure yet, has to fit on TigerMPX, quiet and efficient)
              512MB PC133 CAS2

Matrox G400 16MB SH, Adaptec 2904, Sound: integrated for a while, US Robotics PCI or serial hardware modem, NIC integrated

Teac 1.44MB Floppy, WD800JB, Teac CD-ROM532S, Teac CD-R56S, Toshiba DVD SD-1712 ATAPI

Adi Microscan 5+

RIG2 (goes to my bro - schoolwork, light gaming)
              generic beige case 3/3, Zalman silent case fan
              Codegen 200W PSU

DFI P2XBL, Pentium II 350@466, 128MB LG PC100@133 CAS3

Hercules 3D Prophet II MX, SB64 PCI, US Robotics V90 ISA, intel 10/100 NIC

Samsung 15"

After that:
              Q1 03 (next semester more time = more $bling$)

512MB of quality PC2100 or 2700 CL2 (Samsung and Kingston is to be had here) by January ~ 195.00€/$

Tyan TigerMPX, 2x AthlonXP2000+ to 2200+ and appropriate coolers or
              Asus P4PE, P4 2.0@2.66 and appropriate cooler
              (Whatever is best at the time for about ~495€/$)
              Hercules GameTheater XP or similiar soundcard

Q2/Q3 03
              HP DeskJet 1700 PS (for school and for freelancing proof prints) 11x17"/A3+ postscript inkjet with separate colours ~600€/$ - dealer prices for HP printers are close to hp's online shop listed prices

Incrementally two to three quality 19" monitors (likely Mitsubishi DiamondPro 930SB - newer buy crappy monitors again) and videocard(s) to drive them ~470-600$/€ per monitor + videocard (Depends what's best price performance then)

Broadband 130€/$ ADSL + 130€/$ ISDN (a "technological" = read monopolistic prerequisite here = 260€/$

I'd also like to get (later next year)
              logitech MX700 mose
              black logitech cordless keyboard
              logitech Z540 or 560 or 640 or similar decent speakers
              home tv capture card
              rebuild BX as a router/server
              perhaps a nice force feedback joystick
              RAM upgrade by end of year and possible CPU upgrade

Last edited by UtwigMU; 17 November 2002, 19:44.

Comment

Originally posted by RichL
                First off it didnt even post if I had a Compaq 3121 Nic installed in it (Tried 2 of them that worked in other systems) and would lock up for no apparent reason. I swapped HDDs, NICs, video cards, Memory, upgraded and downgraded drivers etc etc and eventually someone suggested I run the ram at PC100 instead of PC133.

My advice is junk the ECS mobo unless you really really cant afford anything better or have large amounts of PC133 memory you want to use (my reason for buying the thing)
                Honestly agree.

I have to run my ddr333 @ 266
                P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Originally posted by RichL

The problem apparently has to do with ECS changing parts on its motherboards to accommodate Athlon XP processors in some revisions of the motherboard.
                  Running some resistors out of AMD specs and causing problems with other CPUs than Athlons XP. Some 1.x and 2.x revisions seem to have the problem.
                  Can't find the site where I read it anymore but thye guy had problems with a TBird and Crucial DDR memory.

The idea is that the 3.x revisions are safe and also can acomodate all the Athlon XP processors.
                  Last edited by Admiral; 18 November 2002, 08:42.

Comment

Working...
                  X