Chinese language support with Win9x ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese language support with Win9x ?

Well, I have another new assignment at work.
    We have been making various language lessons with MP3s, and the boss wants to expand his multi-lingual web sites. To do this, I need to get several different languages running on a number of PCs.
    For the most part, it hasn't been any problem, but I am finding that there is no Chinese support in Win9x. It's there in XP, and works fine.
    I have checked the MS site/Windows updates for language support, but am not finding it for Chinese.

Sureley people in China use 9x...so how?
    Can this language be installed on an American version of Windows, or was there a separate version for China?
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

So is this not telling the truth?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well, the first link is limited support. I have seen this page before. It allows you to view web pages in Chinese, and use IME for basic E-Mail. I have been able to do this.
        But I need full-blown language support. In XP, when you switch to Chinese, everything is Chinese. We can use MS Word, Front page, whatever we want in Chinese. I need to do this with 9x.

The second link, I have not seen before, and appears to contain additional info on how to do more than the MS page gives.
        I will definatly investigate the info found there when I get to work Monday.

Thanks
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Chinese people use Chinese version of Win9x!
          With built-in input (IME) support.

There used to be various "add-on" program for English Win9x. Such as NJStar.

And, Office2000 and on have build-in support like IE!

Hope this helps.

Any question, ask me! Hopefully I know it more than anyone.

EDIT:
          And that there are three versions of "Chinese"
          - China (simplied Chinese, GB encoding)
          - Hong Kong (traditional Chinese, BIG5 encoding)
          - Taiwan (traditional Chinese, BIG5 encoding)

China ver is unique.
          Hong Kong ver and Taiwan ver are basically the same.
          Last edited by WyWyWyWy; 17 November 2002, 02:13.
          P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
          Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
          And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

I didn't know you expected ALL of 9x to work that way, I thought you were just going for web pages. Yeah, you'll likely need the Chinese Win9x. I know a couple of people that have had run-ins with the Korean version. If you know Windows well enough, you can install the foreign edition pretty easily, even if you can't actually read it.

Comment

Hi,Kruzin
              Chinese version of Win9x may be the only choice for Chinese PC users who favor Win9x OS, since English Win9x is not convenient for most of them ,and not easy to be available on Chinese market.
              As for your assignment, I think you had better use Chinese version (Simplified or Traditional) which has full-featured Chinese input support built in and,in my opinion, keeps you away from some unicode or encoding problems in working with application softwares.

Comment

Working...
              X